Rookie Question

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by dbaseworking, Jul 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dbaseworking

dbaseworking Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just joined the Marco Polo Club
    ..Is the Marco Polo number the same as Asia Miles?
    Rookie

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Different programs so the membership numbers, websites, etc, must also be different.

3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you actually know this, or are you just guessing?

If you actually know this to be true, then I'm going to buy a lottery ticket. I use the same 10-digit number to log in to either Marco Polo Club or Asia Miles. If the "membership numbers ... must also be different", then I think that means that I've scored a 1-in-a-billion lucky hit.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was an educated guess I arrived at after going through the Asia Miles Members' Guide (pdf) and seeing how many different programs it encompasses: airlines, financial institutions (credit cards), hotels (loyalty programs), telecoms, cars (rental) and transportation, retail, dining and banquets, travel & leisure, professional services, etc. If you have an AMEX MR membership or Hyatt GP membership, do you also use the same 10 digit Marco Polo number to log in to Asia Miles for those programs? What if one does not even have a Marco Polo account, could one still be an Asia Miles member? Do you see the potential problem?

5. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I'd better not buy that lottery ticket after all.

Nor should any of the other members of my family who are Marco Polo Club members, and log into both their Marco Polo Club account and their Asia Miles account using the same membership number.

Indeed, who log into their Marco Polo Club account and are immediately and automatically logged into their Asia Miles account without having to log in separately.

Real information beats guessing any day.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Real information beats any guessing so why don't you inform truly us, Oh Wise One :rolleyes:, by addressing these stupid questions:
    Again, Asia Miles is all of these things: airlines, financial institutions (credit cards), hotels (loyalty programs), telecoms, cars (rental) and transportation, retail, dining and banquets, travel & leisure, professional services, etc. So, if one has an AMEX MR membership or Hyatt GP membership, does one need a 10 digit Marco Polo number to log in to Asia Miles? What if one does not even have a Marco Polo account, could one still be an Asia Miles member? Do you see the potential problem? Could it be that the Marco Polo case is be a special case?

7. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who cares? This is all flannel.

The OP asked a simple question: "I am a new Marco Polo Club member. Is my Asia Miles number the same as my Marco Polo Club number?"

The answer is yes.

You guessed, and you guessed wrong.

If I am in the least bit wise, it is only that I know to keep my mouth shut when I don't actually know the answer.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for that answer, Oh Wise, but one-dimensional, One, who cannot be bothered by anything remotely resembling a conundrum.

G'day.

9. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Conundrum that I don't know the answer to = I keep my mouth shut and leave it to those who do know the answer to post it.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is fine, except that there is no reason for smugness when you feel that you know the answer. Addressing the questions that I had asked could be of use to others, so thanks for make it clear that you do not know the answers.

G'day.

11. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    You only "asked" them when you'd been caught out guessing, and guessing wrong.

Mile(agePlus)Point is already badly devoid of decent information about most non-American airlines (indeed, about most airlines other than UA) without the need for wrong answers being confidently given by those who simply do not know.

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Man, this is really stupid. "Caught guessing" is not a crime. The basis of that guess are precisely those questions that you cannot be bothered with because you have no clue about how to answer them. That you're stumped shows (a) the sophistication of my educated guess and (b) the simplicity of your one-dimensional thinking.

Again, Asia Miles is all of these things: airlines, financial institutions (credit cards), hotels (loyalty programs), telecoms, cars (rental) and transportation, retail, dining and banquets, travel & leisure, professional services, etc. So, if one has an AMEX MR membership or Hyatt GP membership, does one need a 10 digit Marco Polo number to log in to Asia Miles? What if one does not even have a Marco Polo account, could one still be an Asia Miles member? Do you see the potential problem? Could it be that the Marco Polo case is a special case?

Answering those questions will be of great service to MilePointers, especially those with no Marco Polo connection.

G'day.

13. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why don't we go around the various airline boards here and just make up answers to questions that members are asking, even though we don't know what the real answer is? If it's not a crime to post guesses, it sounds like a good laugh.
    But not to the OP, who asked a specific question based on an existing (if new) Marco Polo Club connection, the answer to which you got wrong.

I am tempted to wonder whether not only did you not know the answer to the question which the OP asked, but that you also do not know the answers to the other questions which you have posed yourself. Or, in other words, that you actually know next to nothing about Marco Polo Club or Asia Miles. If that guess is right, I would wonder what you thought you were doing trying to answer the OP's question at all.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are done here.

G'day.

15. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    And all because you couldn't bring yourself to say "Sorry, I was wrong about that."

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A wrong educated guess is not a crime nor anything to be ashamed of and to apologize for. I note that you still have trouble addressing the substance of that educated guess, so, therefore, the claims that I was wrong continue to ring hollow. For your benefit, here is an instance where I apologized on these board for being wrong.So, I am capable of such honesty.

In short, we are done here because of the pathetic nature (read: stupidity) of your arguments, and of this whole "discussion". Just give it a rest...

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Asia Miles FAQs:
    That's the answer -- a special case, as per my educated guess. I joined Asia Miles today and got a standalone 10-digit membership number that has nothing to do with Marco Polo. I selected a PIN number that is the same as that which let's me into other programs.

End of story.

18. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's not re-write history.

Your "educated" guess was:-
    That was the answer you gave to someone who had just joined the Marco Polo Club and wanted to know whether the same membership number would be used for Asia Miles.

As I say, let's not re-write history.

You said it would be a different number.

The correct answer is that it is the same number.

So subsequent flannelling around with unhelpful and irrelevant hypotheticals about whether you can join Asia Miles on its own without joining the Marco Polo Club didn't make your original guessed answer to the original post any less wrong.

Anyway, I thought you were done here?

19. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, it's not the end of the story. Why do you persist in trying to tell people who are knowledgeable with and participate in programs that you are completely unfamiliar that they are wrong and you are right, even when the facts are not on your side?

1) An "educated guess" does not typically claim that something must work in a way that it does not in fact work.
    2) If it's such a special case, now go and join the Marco Polo club and see what your number is for that. Unless you lie to them, it will match your asia miles number.
    Hmm, sounds like http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/default.aspx]another program[/url] that I know you participate in...or most frequent flyer programs for that matter.
    Not really a relevant question, but rather one driven by ignorance of the matter at hand (ignorance which would by definition make an educated guess impossible)
    I don't see the potential problem, considering that the first thing that is asked when signing up for Marco Polo club is to provide your Asia Miles number if you are a member.

Why do you persist in going on and on further and further into the rabbit hole arguing that your alternate reality is the only possible truth? All it accomplishes is reducing the value of these boards for all by filling them up with garbage misinfo. Why parade ignorance so forcefully?

Globaliser likes this.
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you really get a kick out of this stupidity? Don't you get it? There was nothing wrong with my educated guess, regardless of the narrowness of your mind? Go around the forums and you will see speculations and educated guesses in nearly every thread. The value of my educated guess is that it happens to provide the more general answer. If you check up there, I had said early on that the Asia Miles-Marco Polo situation must be a special case and it turns out that is, in fact, the case.

You provided the answer to the narrow question, while I provided the more general answer based on my educated guess.

But you are just dying to be "right"? So, go ahead; knock yourself out...

Now I am really done here ;)

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, you again. Now it is definitely the end of the story for me... please grind your axe hard and deep.

Ciao, mate.

22. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    do you?
    Yes there was.
    1 educated guesses do not state, without qualification, that something must be the case
    2 there is a reason that this is the marco poko/asia miles forum
    3 someone even asking the question posed by the op suggests a special relationship on its own
    4 the grounds for your blustering seemed to be that something as large as mileageplus asia miles couldn't possibly be the same login for the airline club site. You may as well claim you can't log in to air canada using aeroplan, or air francw using flying blue, or swiss with miles and more...

yes, and typically indicated as such rather than presented and defended to the death as inviolable truths.
    do you really think anyone out there is dying to answer that burning question "can I log in to 2 completely unrelated programs with the same info?

No one was asking that. Most likely, no one will ask it. Your "contribution" here is worthless. In fact, since it sows confusion, disinformation, and conflict I would say it is worse than worthless.

Globaliser likes this.
  23. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, actually, there was.

It was wrong.

That was what was wrong with your educated guess that you must use a different number to log into Marco Polo Club from the number you use to log into Asia Miles if you are a member of both.
    Let's leave aside the point that the "narrow question" was the only question that had been asked at the time that you kindly provided us with your educated guess of an answer.

Let's have a look at the other question that your more general answer might have been directed to: "If I am a member of Asia Miles but I am NOT a member of the Marco Polo Club, do I use the same number to log into Marco Polo Club as the number I use to log into Asia Miles?"

Umm, well. What a delightful question for you to provide a general answer to.

24. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    Asiamiles is the award program for cx and mpc is the loyalty program. They always share the same membership number.