Rome tourists face €500 snacking fine

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by rwoman, Oct 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone, I saw this in the news - Rome tourists face €500 snacking fine

Is it REALLY going to promote business at cafes?! When traveling, I often take healthy snacks with me to avoid eating junk I should generally stay away from.

2. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    More importantly they are trying to end pub crawls! [​IMG]

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say you completly missed the point (or you didnt read the link you posted) nothing there said anything about
    "promoting cafes" The concern quite legitimate IMHO is the left-over food items/crumbs and attendent trash which litter the historic sites. I put to you that "healthy foods" contribute equally to the problem.:)

8MiHi, marcwint55, coflyer2 and 2 others like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If (many) people weren't such pigs, it wouldn't be a problem that needed a draconian solution attempt.

(with apologies to all the real pigs out there)

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    All one has to do is visit St Marks Square to see people throwing food all over the place ...well ...supposedly "feeding" the pigeons but sometimes even the birds have had their fill of the crap and litter is all over the square.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really. It's more about making more money with unsuspecting visitors to this capital city. I also just learned that in Milan, the overnight tourist tax was upped by 100% per person. I don't believe they think that people are p**s, but they want to fill cafes in popular tourist spots, yes, they want your dollar / euro at every turn. Of course, not everyone has respect for keeping cities clean either.

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's how it feels.:D

marcwint55 and rwoman like this.
  8. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    This does feel like they are trying to discourage groups from having a makeshift picnic and force them to either use the cafes present or just leave. I'm guessing a random person eating while walking through is going to have less of a problem than a group of 6-10 people sitting on some steps eating a boxed lunch while someone is organizing it.

marcwint55, rwoman and uggboy like this.
  9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well everyone is entitled their opinion.. but I dont recall seeing Milan listed as one of the cities enacting the new law.

Sooooo if they restrict tourists from eating pizza and drinking a coke while viewing Michaelangelos the Last Supper.. the cafes would benefit?:rolleyes:

BTW your complaint about maximizing profit happens everywhere.. believe it or not even n the good ole USA.. next time try bringing your KFC bucket and six-pack into the stadium for your Dave Matthews concert.

10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eaxctly...... the article says “It is forbidden to encamp or erect makeshift shelters and stop to eat or drink in zones which have a particular historic or architectural value,” the law reads.

8MiHi, marcwint55 and rwoman like this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As you said, it's only my humble opinion. Regarding Milan, that's another upped tax example in Italy. Of course everyone wants to make money and cash in, but when does it help and when is it counterproductive?

12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially when cafés are so awful about having cross-contam free gluten-free food. :( Even in Italy, which is one of the best GF-aware countries in the world.

Well, I guess Rome's just telling me to spend my tourist dollars elsewhere.

13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad to see IMHO, that people exchange " a believe in people " to giving out fines and making up laws with which they could do for decades or more.

14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    .....and I don't believe that the cafes in touristy areas which this law "protects" gives good value nor good quality for the "high" prices paid by customers.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What exactly do you mean by making up laws? I assume the city council of Rome doesn't have to make up laws, they are authorized to pass laws for the city.

I'd love for my city council to do something about all the fast food/snack garbage on the streets in my city.

coflyer2 and rwoman like this.
  16. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I went to Italy about 10 years ago before my wife knew she was extremely allergic to gluten. We were being good little tourists in Italy and ate pasta, pizza, etc. the entire trip and she was disturbingly sick the entire time. I felt so bad for her. We thought she just had the flu.
    I assumed we wouldn't want to go back anytime soon because of all the food she CAN'T eat. Didn't realize they are very aware of the GF situation.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So let the market take care of that. Walk into a little side street a block away from the main site and you probably find a perfectly lovely cafe or restaurant with good food and prices. Or a little park where you can have the healthy snack you brought along.

18. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course they can bring in any law they like and need, but why now? All of a sudden they have spotted a loophole they can fill, that's why and this borders on "make up" IMHO.

Wouldn't we all want to live in a better world, where people are full of respect and understand the needs of diverse locales around the world? Definitely and this includes your city as does it my city and all the other cities, but then how much do people care for about other cities [ beyond the typical tourist / business visit ], let alone the next neighborhood in their own city?

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Could ask the same for any law that's passed now. Why now, what changed?

Perhaps the amount of trash/food debris scattered around the city increased. Perhaps they no longer have the money for street cleaning to take care of it. Perhaps the majority in the city council changed and so laws that weren't able to pass now pass.

Parts of Rome are like open air museums. I am used to not being allowed to eat in a museum other than the cafeteria.

20. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Business is business, but with politicians right now sleeping in the same bed and experiencing high blood pressure, thanks to money pressures in many EU countries right now, it's easy for them to let everyone else pay through new taxes and so-called laws which they sell as said politicians are all from an AD agency for away and removed from the real crowds which have to bear the extra costs for them. IMHO, the social component is missing, not just here, it's seems to go lost in many locales right now around the world.

21. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that the post said, "Council officials have introduced a new law." a guick google search also shows "adopted" used to describe the law. I don't know how laws are enacted in Italy, but that could mean that is was a proposal and not in effect until put to a full vote.

If it cleans up major tourist attractions, then I don't see a problem. If it is just a revenue grab, then it is what it is and just another rule to be mindful of when traveling.

marcwint55, coflyer2 and rwoman like this.
  22. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    These days, kids are tested for celiac disease routinely.

Here's the article that really helped when I went to Venice last Christmas. I had zero trouble finding edible food in Venice, though I'll admit to having fixated on a single place that had good practices and was a) cheap and b) a block from my hotel.

23. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cheap and good are almost mutually exclusive in Venice.. rule of thumb.. the quality of food is inversely proportional to the proximity of the eatery to St Marks:)

24. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I mostly ate here. (Brek ristorante)

25. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I might be missing something in this discussion, but the law does in fact hugely benefit local cafes and restaurants, regardless of how it is advertised

rwoman, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.