Rome : Hotel Suggestions

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by AdamEfimoff, Sep 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. CMM, Do you know how far this hotel is from Rome
    La Posta Vecchia
    and do you know any of any closer alternatives?

Give my regards
    adam

uggboy likes this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This hotel is about halfway between Rome and the Civitavecchia cruise port and it's just North of the airport. It would not be great to commute by car but would be an easy to commute by train as it is very close to the main rail line that can take you right into Rome. It would be a great location if you build a cruise into your trip.

I'd guess 45 minutes by train and an hour by car depending on traffic. I think it's about 45km's.

uggboy likes this.
  3. What is the best hotel in the centre of rome

uggboy likes this.
  4. profpeabody

profpeabody Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like staying at the Marriot Grand Flora or the Westin Excelsior right down the street. The location is convenient to Piazza Barberini and the Spanish Steps so access to metro is good. If I am staying for a while and want a more residential feel, I love the San Anselmo properties in the Aventine hills. http://www.aventinohotels.com/default_en.html

uggboy likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Grand Flora is nice property in fact I will be staying there this Fri and Sat and then will move over to the just as nice (but more intimate and a little nicer IMHO) Boscolo Palace a couple blocks down V. Veneto, for two more days.

Cant help but remark on your comment about its proximity to the Spanish Steps thats one place whose fascination to visitors to Rome completely baffles me.:) ..... now if you had mentioned the Boghese Garden/Palace

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    profpeabody and uggboy like this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the Intercontinental at the top of the Spanish steps. It is a very nice location for me but to quote the famous wordsmith Patrick Swayze: "Opinions Vary"

uggboy likes this.
  7. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the San Anselmo this summer.... the place and neighborhood were great.... as was the price. But it is a cab ride away from most things.

uggboy likes this.
  8. I am asking for luxury hotels lol

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough but whereas the city of Rome has a number of very nice hotels but not a lot of real "luxury" hotels. Lets face it Hiltons Cavalieri is rated among the top five in the city (where I have stayed a few times) is nice but not what I would consider a top-class luxury property.

10. profpeabody

Status Points:
    The St Regis is a luxury hotel - not too far from the train station. Agree with newbluesea, Rome luxury is a bit different than most cities. The Marriott Grand Flora or the Westin Excelsior are most definitely not your run of the mill Marriott or Westin properties. These are unusual properties in old elegant buildings. You could try the Hassler at the top of the Spanish Steps and the Hotel Eden (which was once an SPG property) are quite nice options. Hotel de Russe between the Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps is also considered a more luxurious option. Several years ago stayed at the Raphael which is just off Piazza Navona. We had a penthouse suite which was charming but old and clunky. I believe it has since been renovated.

11. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd say the Raphael right at Piazza Navona would be the place to stay, but it is small and sells out far in advance. It's the perfect location, both for tourism and for the tartuffo gelato at Tre Scalini.

12. profpeabody

Status Points:
    Not to mention being close to Gelateria delTeatro which is worth going to Rome for!