Rome Cavalieri

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by pokerhammy, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's very rare that I don't stay in the center of a city when I'm on vacation. Since I had been to Rome before, had enough points, and had read so many good things over the years about this hotel, we booked a four night stay in the fall at this remote location.

The hotel was a 45 minute ride (http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/) from the FCO airport. The entrance was pretty grand. The staff took our luggage immediately. We arrived at night and the front desk agent wasn't very welcoming, but the process was efficient. Soon we were in our big room with a sitting area and balcony overlooking the city. As gold received a box of chocolates. Liked the big, comfortable bed and the marble bathroom. Needed printed codes to access the internet, and they were delivered to the room quickly.

The breakfast at L'Uliveto was impressive, with many types of bread, jams, honey, fruits, meats, and even a Japanese section. On the polar opposite the Colosseo lounge was pretty clinical, a small room with bad lighting, but it was good for a few snacks and drinks. The spa was nice and they provided very soft slippers.

The shuttle to/from the city was prompt and the drivers were friendly. The ride was 20+ minutes, depending on the time of the day. We took one at 9pm from Rome and the driver was giving us good history and city information.

I'm glad to have experienced an overall nice stay here, but since I wasn't blown away I will probably choose to stay in the city center in the future for the convenience.

IMG_5108.JPG IMG_5087.JPG IMG_5088.JPG IMG_5093.JPG IMG_5099.JPG IMG_5575.JPG IMG_5143.JPG IMG_5144.JPG IMG_5147.JPG IMG_5576.JPG

doc, gemac and servus like this.
  2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed and informative review. Good to see you here. Just out of curiosity, is that champagne coming through that straw? [​IMG]

3. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Huh? Good to see you too but you've lost me...

4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was looking at your avatar. Looked like a straw being used, I wondered if it was being used to drink champagne. [​IMG]

5. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL! I didn't even see that. :oops: Don't call PETA on me - she's poking a bean sprout into her cheeks. Although she could be dreaming of Dom on the other end...

6. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Life is short, enjoy while you can. [​IMG]

7. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently had a stay here as well. I was quite happy with the hotel and the elite benefits I received. I got free breakfast, internet, and acess to the lounge. Although the hotel is not located in the city center, I did not find this to be a problem. Rome is spread out, so one is always going to have to travel to see sites. The hotel shuttle drops you at the Plaza Barberini which is convenient to walking the Spanish steps or taking the train. The shutle bus runs between 8:30 am - 12:30 pm into town and returns at the top of the hour from 9:00 am, 1:00pm. The shuttle stops service at 1:00 pm, and then it starts return service from downtown Rome at 4:00 pm until the last return bus of 8:00 pm. The hotel is also close to Vatican city, and the best way to go there is via taxi which costs 7 or 8 Euros.

8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're considering either Rome or Nice for September, and if Rome would stay here, I think.

Anyone know how big the pool is? I'm wondering if it is suitable for lap swimming.

9. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The pool looked plenty big from my balcony, and they light the area up at night as well.

10. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
    Since it was an upcoming stay at the Cavalieri about 10 years ago that first brought me to FT, it seems fitting that my first post here also be about the Cavalieri.

Of all the things I've previously posted about this hotel, I consider the most valuable info to be that as a Gold or Diamond you have the choice of having your breakfast served in your room (vs eating downstairs at the restaurant). You're charged a €5 service fee (at least this was the rate last April) but you can have anything/everything on the breakfast menu served in your room, all beautifully presented. And I imagine that if you have no status but on a rate that includes bkfst that you could also opt for room service.

11. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you have access to the Imperial Lounge or the one dowstairs (IlEuvito?) spelling wrong.

sdcarver

12. MiltonR
    Original Member

MiltonR Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used a free night cert and HH points to book a 3 night stay at the Cavalieri in October. Thanks for the report. It looks like a great place. I hope as a Diamond HH they'll give us a room with a view of the Vatican. Did you find any place nearby for dinner at a reasonable price?

13. UncleBob

UncleBob Active Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]We have stayed here twice in the past, and plan a trip in April with our 11y/o granddaughter. It is a wonderful property, with an outstanding view of the city from one's balcony (ask for a room on that side). The Imperial club is the best Hilton Club which we have ever frequented (we a Hilton Diamond), and we travel extensively. We had breadfast there each am instead of room service, which is what we usually prefer. Fantastic staff, very accomidating.

The shuttle is convenient to the city center. There is also an excellet local pizza place just down the road from the holte (3-4 block walk).

14. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You need to remember that Diamonds do not normally get upgraded to an Imperial Floor room and lounge - best is a Rome view room. It takes signing up for a NOR1 upgrade for the Imperial Floor.

15. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing..
    was there nearly 15 yrs ago.. some fond memories..
    & I too prefer the heart of the city.. even stayed @ a Best Western last time in Rome.. lol
    The pics look really great .. even better than I remember.. almost worth the lil' ride into town! :)