Romantic Hotels in Paris

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Mangy, Mar 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a romantic hotel in Paris. We are looking for something small (non chain). Budget varies, but 200 Euros would be about right. Higher if the property is exceptional.

Chimpy likes this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stay at chain hotels in Paris (Marriott), so I don't have an answer for you.

But, if you don't mind, I have a suggestion: Don't worry about the hotel so much, this is Paris after all, you're going to be seeing the sights, and not necessarily just staying in the hotel all the time. I totally understand the desire for a non-chain hotel, but having been to Paris, I just wanted to suggest to not fret about the hotel TOO much.

loadera and mynameismud like this.
  3. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What sort of requirements would you need to qualify as a "romantic" hotel???

For me, just being in Paris is a "romantic" thing...

loadera and mynameismud like this.
  4. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking something small and intimate. I havn't been to Paris before and just wanted it to be a nice, romantic 3 night break.

Something that is very French, in an area that has lots of local life (cafes, small cozy restaurants, etc). Sounds like a cliche...

DebraI and Chimpy like this.
  5. 150-250/night:
    Le Fabe Hotel - choose your room in advance. Great value, location is nice, but not in a touristic area.
    Le Petit Hotel - classic french style, nice and cozy.
    Secret de Paris - new hotel, well a little bit kitschy, but good reviews.
    450-600/night, but exceptional:
    Hotel Banville - Amelie and Marie room. Location isn't great, but not bad. Nice view of Eiffel tower, balcony, loved it.
    Radisson Le Metropolitan, the 'Eiffel Suite' - my favorite. Standard rooms are pretty nice too.

Other idea:

6. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Mr Smith.

Ii will look into those hotels.

BTW, I can't get the Hyatt Visa because I am not in the US

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure about current prices, but there are two sister hotels on Ile St Louis, about 30-40 rooms each with breakfast in a vaulted cellar and only limited (cold sandwiches, cheese plate, wine IIRC) room service. The rooms are small but decorated in Provencal fabrics.

My favorite area is around St Germain des Pres,especially on rue Jacob, although the nicer of the charming hotels here have gotten expensive. I once stayed in the Montana, which was a bit cheaper, but didn't like it. Angleterre is fun--it's the former residence of the British ambassador IIRC--but my room was infested with ants. There's a lovely one located in a courtyard on the far end of the street closest to Odeon and the 5th that once was a great bargain as they didn't have AC or take credit cards but was otherwise lovely with very good service, Hotel des Marronniers. It now has AC and accepts credit cards. One street behind rue Jacob (closer to the Seine) is l'Hotel, IIRC at 9, rue des Beaux Arts; it's absolutely stunning, but has variable rooms and the larger ones are likely to be considerably more than 200 Euros.

Another stunning and romantic hotel is on Place des Vosges, on the Rive Droit. It's a little larger and I can't remember the name, but I think it's the only hotel on the square.

In the 5th, a find (where I haven't stayed in a long while) was Grand Hotel Oriental, located close to two subway stations.

Somewhat more stylish than romantic is the Hotel de la Manufacture on a small street off of Place d'Italy. It's not the most interesting neighborhood and has small rooms in a modern renovation of an attractive old building. A year or two ago their prices were closer to 100 Euros per night.

There's one more which I think would suit your requirements well but again I can't remember the name, although it might just be l'Hotel de l'Abbaye (not Abbaye st Germain, which is in a different location). It's in the 6th, very close to both the river and the RER station. It was one of the first hotels in this area to have amenities like AC, fax, excellent English, and luxurious bathrooms. I had a very pleasant large (for Paris) room with a king bed.

8. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the suggestions MSP[/quote]

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just remembered....the hotel whose name I couldn't remember was Relais Christine on rue Christine. I picked it at the time because is was very close to the RER station and seemed like it would be reliable for phone and fax messages and it was better overall (charm, large room) than I had expected, really better than most other hotels on the Left Bank but smaller and more personal then Lutecia.

10. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thx MSP. I will look into it now

11. I like the Bastille area as its close to cafes and shops and near a subway so its easy to get around. Its pretty much in three districts so your close to all the attractions. The Classics Hotel Bastille is a small charming hotel with a garden that would be perfect. It´s quaint and quiet.

Rlpro likes this.
  12. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mangy, when will you be in Paris?

I recommend the St Germain des Pres area or Latin Quarter. Very romantic areas, close to the Seine and with everything you could want within steps of the hotel. :)

A decent website with many options can be found here
    There are pictures of the hotels along with the room prices and various locations.

If you can tear your selves away from your room, there are lots of sites to see in Paris. :p

Rlpro and doc like this.
  13. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes..

Yet it IS Paris..
    What's not romantic?
    My wife just loves it.. despite her struggles with French.. 'n A's in high school :)

Rlpro likes this.
  14. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi SS,

I will be in Paris sometime in August/September, 2012.

Sorry to be getting so far ahead of myself, but I have a lot of things that need planning, both for that trip and others (including Olympics tix:)

I am generally focusing on the St Germain/Latin Qtr area, but am open to other suggestions.

15. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thx for the reply. The Classics hotel looks very nice.

With a user name like yours, you must like Paris very much