Rollover or Go for Platinum Medallion?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by daemon14, Nov 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm really on the fence about this, so I thought I'd ask MPers for suggestions.

As of Thanksgiving, I will have a bit over 65K MQMs on DL. This has been a rather heavy travel year for me compared to previous years, in fact, I only just recently became GM for the first time after being Silver for so many years. The reason for more travel (which is all personal) has been because of more time, money, and distance from friends/family after moving.

I'm not sure if I will have to fly again for the rest of the year, but if I do, it would be a max of 4-5K MQMs. So I may be in the range where I have to decide to stay put at GM or go for Platinum Medallion.

The "stay put" part of me is thinking that GM is great especially since I'm not used to anything higher than Silver. I don't fly international that often, but when I do (next week, actually), I'll get lounge access. I'll get Economy Comfort when it rolls out next year domestically. I'll get the 100% bonus and Sky Priority. Lastly, I'll get 15-20K to roll over next year and hit GM again with FO levels of flying.

The part of me that says go for PM thinks: higher upgrade possibilities. Award ticket reissues for free (which could help since I book in advance for international J). Choice benefit (would probably go for $200 voucher, although debating giving a family member Silver status if they can prove to me they'll use it). Of course, if I go for PM, I'd start at almost 0 rollover.

I'm LAX-based and I do fly to ATL and NYC a decent number of times and have only been upgraded 1x on LAX-ATL (as an FO on a Sunday night red-eye).

Thoughts?

DeltaExpert and rwoman like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being LAX based, upgrades can be tough even as a DM...that ug list can be very long- I have been 7 of 42 before. Also, how much flying will you do next year? Having nearly 25k rollover could set you up really well to make PM, especially if you do a lot if flying (work, leisure, MR) early in the year.

Also is $200 or Silver status worth over 20k rollover? If you work toward PM next year and make it earlier, you can still take advantage of the free reissue on award tux if your travels are after you make PM.

I know it's a tough decision!

:)robin

daemon14 likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consistent GM (elite security lines, eliteplus for lounge access, free SDC) is an enormous step up from FO. The better upgrades that Plat gets (LAX is a tough upgrade anyway for many routes - as a combination of GM and PM, I'm 22 for my last 25 upgrade chances, with all three of those misses on LAX-MSP), along with the award redeposit, are quite nice, but the difference is not as big as GM over FO. I would say that make sure you can get GM next year first, and then look at making plat.

daemon14, Stils and rwoman like this.
  4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    The fact that DL offers rollover is a major advantage you should take advantage of. It's one thing to shoot for a status at the end of the year if you flew an unusually low amount... it's another when you're doing the opposite. To me, one of the single biggest advantages of status is not upgrades.... it's the mileage bonus.

I know some people think very little of Skypesos but at the end of the day, if there was just one benefit that the airlines could give, I'd be willing to be that most of us would say miles. As GM, you already get the 100% bonus and thus, it's probably the most important thing to ensure through 2014.

spivey, rwoman and daemon14 like this.
  5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the input. As of now, I'm still thinking about it, but leaning toward staying GM and rolling over ~20K. I think keeping GM and having an easier road to PM next year would be better for me.

rwoman likes this.
  6. tin509

tin509 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go for the Platinum... I treasure being placed higher on the upgrade list (than GM) and securing that last minute seat (on earlier or later flight) on nearly sold out flights.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the flight is "nearly sold out" (as in Y space is available) then PM vs. GM does not make a difference. Something like an expertflyer subscription with an alert set up might, though.

I wouldn't take a year of plat and a year of silver over 2 years of gold.

8. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stay at GM. As a PM I am missing more and more upgrades. Having your name higher up on the UG list really doesn't mean much if you do not get the upgrade. Being #1 on the list after all the upgrades have been processed just means that you are the first loser.

9. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep Climbing and go for Platinum! But if you really do need the rollover then that could be more important.

rwoman likes this.
  10. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who cares anyway?

I'm still PM. It's quite the joke if you want a meaningful elite level. No UG on 4 of my last 5 ug-eligible DL segments two of which involved SDF and not LAX or JFK. That's worse than it was as NE SE aeons ago.

I'll drop to GM soon. If I'm not getting UG as PM, and with GM being STE+ and award inventory as tight as SM makes it, I really can't see much advantage in being PM vs GM. I suppose FO could be much worse. I'll find out probably in 2013 when I enjoy my "for this year" MM FO benefit. That's up for the chop eventually too. Look at the language used in the MM description "annual complimentary FO" [for as long as I, Jeff see fit...hey Glenn, those numbers that bad? OK, then chop these guys out of the program...]

Being UA 1K means living in absolutely a different universe to any DL Medallion level. Just one example... elite agents that help you find low-level F awards with multiple stopovers, or another, an award tool that delivers exactly what the company states i.e. either Saver or SleazyPass at only 2x Saver mileage and NOTHING ELSE and that actually ticket correctly when you press "BOOK"...ahh, what bliss for the SM refugees! By contrast what torture it is to use DELTABESTINCLASS.COM to attempt to redeem SM, to encounter "turbulence" or "this flight sold out" or this "is not a valid request" etc. and then even worse when you have to call in for SMS "help." Yeah, can't redeem SM on MH, OK, CZ. MU whatever. Sure, what else do we expect from this outfit?

It is truly amazing to me that otherwise intelligent people can make continual excuses for these deliberate erosions of value. They're not "mistakes." DL management is smart, they're well aware of how difficult all these frictions make it, and they're very happy with it. Hard product isn't bad, I agree, but this other BS is just torment. Even US are better, I know what to expect from general member CS and they give it to me as stated.

11. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In hindsight I should have gone with rollover. Having had only a few flights this year would put me close to GM for next year instead of not even making SM. Ouch. :(

12. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    In your position, I would say stay GM. Better to keep that status for 2+ years than have PL and then FO the following because of the Sky Priority Perks.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  13. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just had my first taste of GM and ST Elite + perks this weekend ... I like 'em! I think I am going to stay and be GM this year / easy GM next year too for GM through 2/2014!

DeltaExpert likes this.
  14. Interesting dilemna, I just had it too...only 715 miles to Platinum, so I bought 2500 MQMs for $295. We'll see if I get $295 worth of additional upgrades during the coming year. If not, I'll move my business and my loyalty to the next carrier.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  15. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me it would depend on my flight plans next year. If I'd make it back to GM next year w/o issue (for the priority lines) I'd go for the PM. I do like having the roll over of miles to get the jump on next year's status also.

Dave

DeltaExpert likes this.