Rollover Medallion Miles and Timed Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Zmcgeary, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Zmcgeary

Zmcgeary Active Member

Status Points:
    I missed my upgrade to Gold status last year by about 5k. With one x-country trip already this year, I am just 1k short of hitting 25k for 2011.

I do not plan to fly another 26k miles this year.What happens if I hit the 25k threshold in April? Should I try to avoid flying Delta for a little while?

What considerations should I be making?

Many thanks in advance!

2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you hit 25K in April, you would get Silver status for 2012.

3. Zmcgeary

Zmcgeary Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your reply.

In that case, my Silver status would continue through Feb 2013?

4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    correct, and it would't matter if you hit 25K in April 2011 or December 2011. It would have the same effect.

5. Zmcgeary

Zmcgeary Active Member

Status Points:
    Fantastic, thanks for the info DE!

6. Plus you'd roll over whatever you do over 25K, putting you on track for 13.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, if you do not hit 25K MQMs by December 31, you will get absolutely no rollover into 2012, so that your current 24K miles would effectively be wasted. The nice thing about rollover is that one no longer feels that status miles earned between status levels (or over 125K for DM) are wasted, but there is no rollover whatsoever if you do not at least qualify for Silver, a point that many misunderstand: rollover is only for elites.

The earlier you qualify for a higher level during the year, the sooner you are able to enjoy the benefits of that status, which is good through the end of February of the year after the following year, regardless of when it starts. Higher status earner during 2011 is thus valid through 2012 and ends on March 1, 2013.

samonyc likes this.
  8. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The biggest question you will need to ask, do you want gold, or a bunch of roll over for the next year. I am facing the same question, this year I could hit Plat, but then only requalify as silver, but if I just miss plat, then with rollover, I can make gold the following year. No right answer for everyone, just got to figure out what works best for you.