Rollin the dice for eUpgrade

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by PtsHawg, Oct 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    So after hearing reports that miles flown (perhaps upgraded miles--not 100% sure) prior to connecting to a flight that you're waitlisted on actually improves your upgrade odds, I've broken down today and changed my flight to add miles and an extra upgraded segment prior to my TATL in a couple of days to test the theory.

Really hope I'm not wasting my time. For the TATL segment J=3 right now on a 77W; I'm SE on an S fare. Looking for a miracle here! Will report back.

Quick question though, there are 2 on my PNR and the other person has no status. Should I tell someone (GA/Concierge) I'm ready to cut them loose if it improves my upgrade odds?

2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that what counts in terms of status is the status of the person with the eUpgrade certificates, not the person being upgraded, so your expendable person on the PNR will benefit from your status. It cuts the other way, too. If you're flying with a Prestige person and using their eCerts, you are at the mercy of the Prestige status.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

PtsHawg likes this.
  3. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're down to J=2 now... uugghh... and still 70 hours to go. Not looking good.

YULtide likes this.
  4. Pax on connecting flights do have priority over those originating on the flight. This has become a frustrating issue with many who originate in YYZ which is a major transient point in AC's system.

5. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    So the update.

I got upgrades both ways on TATL, but my companion did not on either. I was #1, 2 or 3 on the waitlist going over (there were only 3 seats available), and I was first on the list back (there was only 1 seat available) and my companion was #7 or #9 I believe in both cases.

Oddly, we were travelling with a 3rd person and connected through YUL to YYZ, and I noted he had no status at all, but was #1 on the list--sure there must have been some status people on that waitlist, so perhaps it really depends on how many miles you fly before the non-status person gets higher priority than status people.