Roku me this: How easy are these things to use?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mikeef, May 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fact: I'm the guy who, when it says "press any key to continue," looks for the key marked "any."

Fact: I have, on more than one occasion, been accused of Id 10 T errors on the computer.

Fact: Wires scare me. I can never figure out where to hook them up.

Fact: Instruction manuals with more than two paragraphs scare me. I'm always relieved to see that a thick instruction book is in 18 languages, so the portion I have to read is short.

Having said all that, I'm thinking of investing in a Roku box. I'm told they are easy to plug in and use. We have a wireless house (or whatever it is that allows me to use my computer from any room), which I think we need to get movies from a netflix download to the magic box that allows me to watch them on the TV.

So on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being "a blind idiot with herpes" could hook it up to 10 being "call whomever does computer work for Bill Gates," how hard are these things to figure out?

Mike

Freddie Listo likes this.
  2. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a Roku box and IIRC, it was pretty simple: connect to TV with an HDMI cable, some minor programming to connect to my wifi signal and that was about it.

mikeef and Gargoyle like this.
  3. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's the easiest piece of home entertainment equipment to set-up I've ever purchased. Everything about it yells 'simple'. It's a small black box with no buttons on it. The remote is as basic as they come. Connecting to your wireless network is as simple as selecting the network and 'typing' in any password you may have. That's about it. On your 1-10 scale I'd give it a 2. Enjoy your Roku - tons of channels besides Netflix, Amazon VOD and Hulu on there, and some are actually interesting!

wiredboy and mikeef like this.
  4. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all, I appreciate it. YBL.

Mike