Rocketmiles

Discussion in 'Other Loyalty Programs' started by jonspencer, Mar 3, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received an offer to pick up miles on Qatar Airways

always open to picking up some extra FF mileage :eek:

however I have checked hotels available for the promotion in a few cities and it is very limited + the prices are not competitive,

basically rocketmiles purchases the miles from the airlines and just adds that price to the hotel rooms, rather useless service IMO

not even remotely impressed with the offer and disappointed I gave them my contact details

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    They had a 5,000 mile first time user bonus promo awhile ago I & Mrs Willie utilized.

Prices were no more expensive that what I could obtain via hotel's website & other hotel searches.

I guess I was jaded with the 5,000 mile bonus because 100 miles for a hotel stay just doesn't motivate me or Mrs Willie.

If their prices really are above market to more than cover cost of miles, it would be a disappointing development.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sort of like this, though not 100%.

In some cases the rates will match but not always. It does just buy the miles and pay for them out of the commission it receives for selling the room. In some cases the room rate is higher than buying direct or via other OTAs so it is a bad deal for consumers. Been that way since the company launched a few years ago.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yup. A good part of their business model is betting that the average business traveler will stick their company with a slightly higher rate so they get more miles. Not saying that's an unsuccessful business plan....

icurhere2 and B1BomberVB like this.
  5. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is my receicent experience with Rocket, Wife and I needed a room for two nights, price was $96 per night on hotel web site. Rocket miles price was $106 per night. We did two back to back reservation with Rocket and each received 5K miles with Southwest. Not to bad, $10 for each 5K miles bonus. But Rocket Miles booking are generally higher, and bookings were non refundable/cancel able.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  6. Drlucy

Drlucy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've used Rocketmiles a few times now, but only when they've had really good bonuses on stays - not the regular 1,000 points for a night. I've checked prices to compare with other third party providers and the hotels themselves, so when its been only a little more in price, (less than £10 for me) I've gone with it. For a non-frequent flyer the slight increase in price is worth the extra points if Rocketmiles are doing a deal (more than 1,000 points per night). They do pay your points once your stay is completed very quickly in my experience, unlike some of the other non-airline sources for earning points...

B1BomberVB likes this.
  7. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that Rocketmiles often adds $10--20 to the taxes/ fees compared to other OLTAs. Also, as Mrlasssen says, RM bookings are often non refundable/cancelable at the same or higher rate of others' flexible bookings.

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I was eager when these companies for started, especially Points Hound with their double dip rates. They occasionally have a screaming deal but the rates are generally too high and restrictive to be a good value for most. Still, it's a good option for some.