Robots paint sleeping patterns of hotel guests

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Sep 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/28/robot-paints-sleep

Global hotel chain Ibis is transforming the nightly tosses and turns of its guests into works of modern art, painted by robots.

If images of the Japanese MH-2 bot -- a miniature robot that perches on your shoulder -- scurrying under the covers beneath a cloak of darkness are entering your mind, do not fear. It's not that kind of robot. It's neither autonomous, nor is it located in the hotel room with the guest, and there are definitely no cameras involved. Rather, Ibis will locate them at studios near the hotels taking part (two in Berlin, two in Paris and one in Blackfriars, London) where they can let the creative juices flow -- or, rather, be transmitted wirelessly -- undisturbed.

"Our masterpiece is to make your sleep a true work of art," the promotional video gushes, after putting a far more interesting point to viewers: "What does sleep look like?" To find out, the budget chain is installing thin grids covered in 80 heat, pressure and sound sensors on mattresses in select guestrooms, kicking off on 13 October in Paris. Data gathered by the sensors will be fed wirelessly throughout the night to the studio, where it is then fed through an algorithm that converts information on a guest's movement, sound and temperature into colour and movement.

Read More: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/28/robot-paints-sleep

Koschmar likes this.
  2. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be honest, I don't want to know what sleep looks like throughout the masses. I've seen my SO's sleep many times, and it has, on occasion, disturbed me. She has taken pictures of my sleep that have definitely disturbed me.