Roadside assistance

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by arshavin, Nov 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    My AAA membership is expiring soon and wondering if I should renew it. Does anybody have experience of road side assistance through Amex Platinum cards or Visa Signature cards? Do they charge per assistance needed or is it free as one of the benefits?

2. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm not familiar with the roadside assistance programs of Amex or Visa...so I'll let someone else chime in about that. It used to be (you should definitely double check) that you can actually renew your AAA membership when you need it. No sense in paying for it until you break down and need help. That would only apply to the regular AAA membership, and not the Plus membership since that requires history.

3. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did check AAA on renewal. I was told I would have to pay 39 dollars extra if I need same day service. Not good because It costs only 50 for renewal. Visa charges 69 dollars every time I call for road side assistance. Amex charges 59 dollars every time I would assistance. Not really great choices. I was wondering if there is a credit card which provides road side assistance for free.

4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    are there other services you use from AAA --- e.g. maps, guide books?

Bob H

5. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    No I have not used AAA for anything except road side assistance. Service is great if you do not mind waiting for average around an hour or so. Once I had my battery replaced too from AAA.

6. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi there. I have AMEX Platinum and Cancelled AAA a few years back. Its not bad.. They use a third party company that is in close proximity to where you are located when needing the service. They provide a $50 allowance for each service (Max 4 per year for AMEX Platinum ) I used it for a Tow recently and it was about $8 a mile. They took me home and charged me $20 for the xtra mileage over the $50 allowance. Funny thing, I gave the driver my AMEX for payment. He said MC or Visa only?? Got a laugh with that one. Dont expect the 30 minute or less AAA service too( they seem to be slower than AAA ). All in all used it a few times and felt it was worth it. Just ensure that 1 long tow can break the bank.. Safe Travels