Road trip - ZRH -> LI -> DE -> Vienna (and back)

Discussion in 'Europe' started by TravelerRob, Sep 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Hi all,
    I'm not 100% sure this is even the right forum for my post but here goes...

I'm off to Europe on a business trip and will tack on an additional week (Sat->Sat) for vacation. I'll be in Europe Sept 9-22. I fly to ZRH on the 15th and start my vacation from there.

I plan on renting a car and driving from Zurich to Vienna via Vaduz, W Austria, SE Germany and then back into Austria passing through Innsbruck and Salzburg at least.

Some questions to get me started:
    1. The rental car in ZRH will have the road tax for CH paid. I assume I need to pay the road tax for Austria separately. My question has to do with the road tax sticker - it's supposed to be affixed to the windscreen. I don't think the rental car company will be happy with me putting a stick on their windscreen. What do most people do?
    2. What route would you suggest (other than what Google Maps might tell me) keeping in mind I want to see the sights (culture, cities, etc.), go hiking and take lots of scenic photos? I'm not much of a foodie so no need to base your route on awesome restaurants.
    3. Where would you stay along the way?

I've got to be back in Zurich on the night of the 21st. Otherwise everything in between is open and freely available.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

MX likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Any report on this trip? I may be doing something similar soon...