Road to Joint Operating Certificate

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Oct 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed that recently that on United flights, the pilots have changed the pre-departure/pre-landing announcement from:

"Flight attendants, please prepare for take-off/landing"

to:

"Flight attendants, pleas be seated for take-off/landing"

I'm wondering if this part of the unification of procedures as part of the getting the joint operating certificate.

I've not flown Continental in a long time, so I don't know if this is what Continental has been using and now United is adopting the new verbiage. Or if this is something new for both airlines.

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, are either "flight attendants, please prepare for..." or "flight attendants, please be seated for ..." in the script?

Check out the September 30 Dear AFA update (archive at http://www.unitedafa.org/news/dearafa/default.aspx):

Changes to Prepare for Landing Announcement

Effective today, September 30, 2011, it will no longer be standard operating procedure for pilots to notify Flight Attendants via a PA announcement to “prepare for landing.” Flight Attendants will now use the “sterile flight deck/no smoking double chimes” as their cue to prepare the cabin and take their seats for landing. The Flight Attendant Announcement Book has been updated with an announcement by the purser. Flight Attendants should no longer expect to be notified by the flight deck to be seated.

Navysuby3, Infinite1K and sfo1 like this.
  3. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I still hear the announcements, so not sure what script they are following.

4. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, looks like I have to learn to listen for the double chime to give my seta belt the final tug
    I'm wondering if with this new change, what happens if the announcement is still made? Do the pilots get in trouble?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The FAs are still going to make the announcement so you shouldn't have to pay too much attention to the chimes.

goalie likes this.
  6. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought the "Cross-Check" announcement sounded a little different after landing in a UA 757 this morning.