Status Points:
    Saw this while trolling the news...

Rivals do not want Air India in Star Alliance

more story in the link.

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes please! F redemptions on Jet suites!

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Global Entry process at JFK T4 --- remarkably easy and efficient.

$100 fee paid by Amex. $120 round trip cab out to the field...not so lucky. Glad it's done though.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this comment in the right thread? :D

JohnDeere19 and NYBanker like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't f on a USAir A319 reward enough? ;)

rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I really wish is that I could get an APAC card. That would be great.

JohnDeere19 and rwoman like this.
  7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

NYBanker, rwoman and goalie like this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ooops. Indeed, meant for another thread! I've tried to hijack a thread once or twice, but turning an Air India - Star Allianxe thread into a global entry discussion is indeed a bit too far!

Perhaps I'll use Global Entry after an air india flight?

Haha.

I'll cross post my original message in another forum now... ;)

rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take Jet Airways over Air India

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    We all have our moments. :D

11. akghost
    Original Member

akghost Silver Member

Status Points:
    AI's entrance would eat into SQ, TG, LH etc having several flights to major Indian cities and not just the capital, New Delhi. I can see them potentially wary of a good product AI (773ERs, 772LR etc) eating into their loads of Ex-Pats and others going to and from India. Even UA has two flights to India.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me, too, but you heard the government official in that story, didn't you? Sounds to me that they won't allow Jet to join if "their" government carrier gets left at the altar.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  13. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ partners extensively with Air India and LH does a fair amount of code sharing with them as well. AI is SQ's only non-*A partner besides VS.

14. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Active Member

Status Points:
    Considering the highly inconsistent onboard product that AI offers, I don't think the other * airlines would lose very much business to them - I'm surprised they're complaining about this, seems like spoilt b*tching to me.

15. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is AI trying to cover up for the fact that *A doesn't think AI is meeting the standards they need meet to join (which is why this has been postponed for years, to the point where the end of July is *A's announced "meet our standards or drop dead" date). I smell corporate spin.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  16. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many of you guys have actually flown Air India? What did you think?

I personally haven't, but my parents and husband have. They had less than stellar reviews which would make we want to avoid the airline if it was part of *A.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown AI, but I have read lots of stories about them in the business sectons of Indian newspapers whlle visiting the country for a total of about tw months. May have been biased coverage across the various papers, of course, but it created an impression of an airline that's a mix of incompetent and unreliable.

I have flown Jet Airways a few times on domestic routes, and they seemed to be a good carrier (though, frankly, even they seem to have been a bit erratic in their expansion plans).

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  18. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually since it's a state carrier, what you smell is probably Indian government spin. Just like corporate spin, only smellier.

rwoman likes this.
  19. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.indiainfoline.com/Market...dias-Membership-application-report/5210294474

Star Alliance has put on hold Air India Ltd.’s request to join the grouping after the flag carrier failed to meet the minimum conditions, according to a report.​

The report stated that the group is open to discussing a potential membership for Air India “at a future stage."​

http://indiaaviation.aero/news/airl...a’s-alliance-membership-application-on-hold

The member airlines of the Star Alliance network and Air India have jointly concluded that the integration of Air India into the global airline alliance will be suspended. This is due to the fact that Air India has not met the minimum joining conditions that were contractually agreed in December 2007.​

rwoman and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  20. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  21. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would argue it's LESS seats for the rest of us. AI flies a number of Fifth Freedom routes (like KIX-HKG-KIX) that would be relatively easy to redeem on award (these types of routes usually are). Given how LH is sucking seats out of their system with their 744 conversions and restricting A388 F redemptions, that SQ has pretty much eliminated F and C to North America, that UA and CO's fleet conversions reduce the number of C seats, *A folks could use a carrier that has some empty seats up front that they'll trade for the cash they get by *A award reimbursement rules.

22. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    i don't think you would see a ton of people rushing for air india tickets, however i would guess a fair amount of air india flyers would flock to the rest of *a flights and crimp already limited availability. i would suspect any reasonable person would prefer lh, ua, etc metal over air india, but the air india flyers would love the other metal in *a

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  23. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    i don't think you'd see a rush of *A flyers moving to air india metal. just imho, i'd rather fly lh/ua/co/etc y over air india C. but thats just me

24. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I few nonstop JFK -> DEL in coach and it was fine/great. In seat VOD, good food, alcohol etc... The key might be that that flight is operated on a new larger aircraft. Just like almost all carriers the smaller planes might not be as good :)

25. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    F is still F. AI's 777 F doesn't look too bad hard product wise. The FT trip reports I've scared up of recent vintage don't exactly sound like a horror show either. On the other hand, further research shows they are dropping their fifth-freedom routes out of HKG that I noticed when I was researching ways to get to HKG in F last year (and hoping AI would join the alliance in time for me to use them). Too bad- this would make for better F class connection options (ICN and KIX would have F service).

I'd consider using them on a redemption nonetheless- LH/LX/SQ often have premium class availability in C and F out of India that you won't find elsewhere (though that could change some with AI in the alliance). With a reasonable connection, I think I'd take AI F over LH C (I've heard reports that the *A lounge in DEL isn't too shabby).

All that being said... I'd probably rather have 9W than AI in *A if I had to choose one Indian airline. ;)