Ritz Carlton NYC - Second dirtiest restaurant in Midtown NYC

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by canucklehead, Aug 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ritz Hotel Kitchen Second Dirtiest in Midtown, City Finds

in the article -

"According to the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOH), the Ritz-Carlton has the 13th dirtiest kitchen in the city, getting hit with 77 violation points during a June 17 inspection. The hotel houses BLT restaurant and the Star Lounge. It was not clear on the DOH website if the kitchen supplies one or both of the eateries.

The most recent inspection found six critical violations for sloppy and "unacceptable" conditions, including poorly refrigerated foods, evidence of flies, cross-contamination between cooked and raw meat, and poor hygiene among kitchen workers, the DOH website said."

NYC DOH violation website link (search Ritz-Carlton).

TAHKUCT, NYBanker and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    OH! This comes as a surprise, especially from such a highly-prized flagship property of a famous chain!:confused:

Overall, :eek:

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and canucklehead like this.
  4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only see 67violation points, but still that is way to many. By the way, Ritz at Battery Park only has 25.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still it feels like.....:eek:

6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have checked some of the other restaurants I gave visited while I'm NYC and all of them scored less then 10 violation points

uggboy and canucklehead like this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better restaurants (including the one at the RC-CPS) have an advantage over lesser restaurants in these tests - the kitchen is typically further away - and more isolated - from the front door.

When the inspector arrives, the maitre d' greets the inspector, and usually seats him at the bar - and offers a club soda - while he goes to get the executive chef (who will accompany the inspector during the inspection). During that few minute gap while they "locate" the executive chef, all hell breaks loose in the kitchen - everything is cleaned up, gloves put on, tongs come out, etc. By the time the inspection begins, they've had 5+ minutes to bring things back into line.

A few friends of mine at starred restaurants in NY say they know they can't make it too perfect - or the inspector will know what happened - but those few minutes are extremely valuable.

Once or twice I understand inspectors have simply barged right into the kitchen (presumably within their purview to do), but at a top place, that's less likely to happen, these people tell me.

Places with open kitchens obviously have less (no?) time to react - but for places like Per Se, Daniel, etc, there could be a very long time between the door and the kitchen.

Why CPS did so poorly, I don't know. The results could also hinge quite a bit on who is running the kitchen on the day of the exam.

canucklehead and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like the top 4 violations at RC were a duplicate of the previous inspection 3 months prior.

I think the score discrepancy was the correction of 2 of the six major violations (in red). Still, it seems like the restaurant is a repeat offender of the same Health code inspection problems!