Rituals: Searching for Bedbugs

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Punki, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you worry about bedbugs in hotels?

Do you have any search rituals?

I have never worried about them but last night when we checked in at the Sheraton my son carefully searched his bed and then proceeded to put his luggage in the bathtub and left the lights on all night.

How about you?

2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose I should be concerned but never check when staying at IHG, SPG, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt.

The only time I really checked the bed was when I did some Wydham stays (3 stays nettted 10k airline miles) where I actually stayed in the hotel during a road trip. Some of those Knight's Inn were sketchy[​IMG].

3. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very serious problem ... those highly annoying, hard to eradicate bedbugs. Don't want to take them home!
    Wonder why he left the lights on all night?

4. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea why he left the lights on. This whole bedbug thing is a mystery to me.

My daughter, a professional pop singer/performance artist, who travels extensivley all around the world, is also very worried about bedbugs. I have seen her ripping up bedding for an in-depth bedbug inspections in numerous fancy hotels in various countries. She is a New Yorker, and it seems like New Yorkers are more paranoid (or maybe smarter) about bedbugs than everyone else in the world. Maybe it is a New York Times kind of thing. ;)

I know that my son was in a very fancy hotel last year, working on a job for a client, where the clients discovered that they had bed bugs in a few of their corporate rooms. Unfortuntely the hotel was oversold, so they could not move them. YUK! Maybe that is the source of his paranoia.

5. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never checked for bed bugs until an acquaintance had them in her apartment and told me about the nightmare to get rid of them. I live in NYC. She told me to put my luggage in the bathroom and check the mattress, especially along the seams, in hotel rooms for blood/bugs. Since then I've checked and so far been lucky.

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYC has a bad reputation for bedbugs.
    Is this fact?

2soonold likes this.
  7. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people believe that fleas will move toward a light; and so they will leave the bathroom light on in a motel room.

Infestation is the problem. They are very hard to get rid of; and expensive to get rid of, too! I like the tip about the bathtub. When I travel nothing of mine gets placed on a soft, upholstered surface.

Perfect set up for someone to unwittingly carry them home.

8. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep; but they are also in places you might not think of, like Cincinnati! I changed my quality hotel at the last moment last year, when a second post about bedbugs in that establishment appeared on the internet just two days before my arrival. And that was in Wichita!

9. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    New York got hit pretty hard last year. Not just hotels, but pretty fancy retail stores were closed down as well.

2soonold likes this.
  10. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do a cursory check whenever I check in. I lift the sheets and check all around the seams of the mattress, and do a quick visual inspection of the mattress. I also try to remember to put my luggage on a hard surface. In NYC recently, I left my luggage in the bathroom on the tile floor.

2soonold likes this.
  11. sgkis
    Original Member

sgkis Silver Member

Status Points:
    the thing about these bug-gers is that, if they are found in your hotel room, chances are that their relatives are scurrying around on the other beds in the hotel.

12. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know. They both travel for work are very savvy travelers. I just don't want to get too freaked out, and know I would start to feel my skin crawling if I let myself worry about them. Hopefully, I won't end up sorry I wasn't more vigilant.

14. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife's brother picked up bedbugs from a hotel in Texas and it was a few weeks at home before they figured out what all the flea bites were from. They initially thought the dog had a bad case of fleas but then discovered the bedbugs in their luggage. They had to move out of their house for a week to have it treated and ended up throwing out a very expensive mattress and a couch. He said his wife now does a thorough inspection in every hotel and and no luggage touches the bed or floor.

2soonold likes this.
  15. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found a bedbug crawling on the wall of my hotel room in Albany last year. This was on December 26th and a massive blizzard was bearing down on us, so getting another hotel wasn't an option. The hotel upgraded me, and my friends two doors down, to suites four floors below. Needless to say I checked all the bedding and hung my bag from the glass shower wall. Now I've made a point of checking for them wherever I go, and the Bedbug Registry is worth a consult before booking.

2soonold likes this.
  16. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing that story. I am not an expert on this subject; but it is my understanding that sometimes an individual may not have any reaction to a bite, and therefore may not even be aware that the room had bedbugs. But they still could potentially carry them home to a spouse who may have a reaction to the bites.

17. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard that in cases of heavy infestation, they have been found inside the walls.

18. bubb1
    Original Member

bubb1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always check a few usual spots when checking in to any hotel, e.g. lift the sheets and check the folds in the mattress, behind the headboard, and anywhere else that is tight and dark that I can take a look at. I also make sure not to put my luggage on the bed or floor whenever possible. I've never encountered signs of infestation and I spent a lot of time traveling to NYC this past year.

2soonold likes this.
  19. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never bothered checking; I like to live dangerously. :D

20. billydee
    Original Member

billydee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do exactly the same with my trusty maglite (flashlight) and have been doing so for about a year, no sightings yet.

21. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
  22. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I check when I get to the hotel. I always forget to look on the registry before booking.

23. Trout Fishing in America
    Original Member

Trout Fishing in America Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a little late to the party-- but I have never seen a bedbug in real life and, truly, don't know if I could pick one out of a lineup. Nevertheless: Ever since I was very young (decades before the recent bedbug scare) I always feel under the mattress seams, feel behind the headboard, and pick up each corner of the mattress and sort of balance the mattress on my knee while I quickly examine the underside of it. I usually keep my suitcase on the little "suitcase holder" if one is provided, or put it on a desk. Currently, I am on a kick where I hang my clothes up in the closet, but I suspect that won't last long.

I can't imagine how I'd act if I actually found a bedbug. I'd probably get excited first before getting grossed out.

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh great, of course I have to read this thread while actually staying at a hotel. Quick check of the registry calms me down :) But when I go back upstairs, I'll nevertheless do a cursory search.

2soonold likes this.
  25. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points: