Ripping DVDs to iPad

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Captain Oveur, Oct 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a few DVDs I would like to rip and put onto my iPad. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do that....preferably for free?

rwoman and Scottrick like this.
  2. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are plenty of programs out there, I've used a few on both windows and linux, but this is by far the easiest:

http://www.aimersoft.com/dvd-to-ipad-converter.html

They had a promo a few months ago where if you liked them on FB, you'd get an activation code for free... don't know if they have promos like that going on.

miketown, rwoman and Scottrick like this.
  3. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    miketown, iolaire, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to purchase anything. Handbrake is what I use. At least on the Mac it has a iPad preconfigured setting, so you don't have to muck with the various settings.

miketown, rwoman and dmel like this.
  5. Denny
    Original Member

Denny House of Miles Staff Staff Member

Status Points:
    Same here. Handbrake is a tried and true method for years. I use the AppleTV setting that came with it for great results.

rwoman and dmel like this.
  6. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used Handbrake before... a long time ago, I will give it a try again.

Slight OT: of course, there's no reason not to encode so iTunes/iPad can play it when ripping a DVD, but for videos that they can't play natively, don't transcode... I use Azul. I know there are a bunch of apps for playing videos, but I haven't had any problems with Azul. It's the only one I've tried, but it's great. Great if you download an AVI and want to watch it (it's how I watched the third season of Breaking Bad ;-))

rwoman likes this.
  7. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that handbrake is the best free software and if you are buying I use DVDFab.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  8. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need DVD Shrink to rip it (decode it) and Handbrake to encode it to your iPad. Both are free. If you are going to buy any software, get AnyDVD HD for the ripping (does DVD and blu-ray), but you really don't need it.

9. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is that on Windows? If I recall correctly, when I first started Handbrake on my Mac, it advised me to download VLC (?) to rip the DVDs, but the whole process is completely seamless, it I never have to interact or even launch a separate ripping tool.

11. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is for windows. I didn't know VLC had decoding ability built in, but maybe it is a Mac thing.:confused:

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  13. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is a good article from LifeHacker: http://lifehacker.com/5809765/how-to-rip-a-dvd-to-your-computer

I have been using a paid app called DVD Ripper from iSkysoft that I prefer. I do suggest that you use the iPad HD profile. This will be a larger file but helps if you connect your iPad by HDMI to a TV.

If you need a HDMI cable to travel with, look no further than here: http://www.hypershop.com/HyperThin-World-s-Thinnest-Most-Flexible-HDMI-Ca-p/ht25-black.htm

Its unbelievably thin, packs well and works perfectly!

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the recommendation. I might get one down the road, but for now I am happy with my composite video cable (original Apple). I chose that because there are still plenty of hotels where the TV has accessible composite video ports but no HDMI ports. Obviously that's going to change more and more.