RIP AA 292/293 ORD-DEL/ORD

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kyunbit, Mar 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably one of the casualties of high cost structure of AA and rising fuel costs. The flights had full/near full loads in F/Y even in off-seasons. I am still surprised such a route did not make profits.

With the demise of this route, any ideas on the longest AA metal flight right now?

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    ORD-PVG I believe.

hulagrrl210 and kyunbit like this.
  3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sucks so much...just when I was thinking of ditching UA for AA to visit family in India. Guess we're stuck with having to go via EWR or worse, FRA :(

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  4. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know what the plans are for the 777 that serviced the route?

5. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ugh, EWR-DEL is awful, IMO. On the (>15 hr) return trip, I thought "Get me off this metal tube" about every 15 minutes.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  6. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    JNB280 and chaz4449 like this.
  7. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A stop in Europe to stretch the legs wouldn't be so bad would it? Especially for all the poor folks in Y. I did SYD to LAX in Y when I was 19, and can't imagine doing that again now unless I'm in J of F! I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about getting off of the metal tube!

8. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA's 777 fleet is generally beloved to be underutilized, and so in the current aviation market downturn, it is difficult to forecast what use AA will find for these extra birds.

chaz4449 likes this.
  9. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie likes this.
  10. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally off topic. For some reason referring to the 777's as birds just made me think of the "pretty bird" scene in the movie "Dumb and Dumber" where a blind little boy is holding and petting a dead parakeet saying "pretty bird" over and over...

11. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:

I do this route atleast once a year. Flew them last in Jan in Y. flight was oversold ORD-DEL in middle of Jan which is normally a shoulder/lean season.

I sleep almost 12 of the 15 hours and have no problems dealing with a long flight. I would rather finish my journey quickly than tolerate the problems of a stop.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fuel is heavy, and you have to carry enough to get you there. The A345s struggle to be profitable on ULH routes as well because of this.

I've done the EWR-DEL and back flights in Y and it was long, but not unbearably so.

chaz4449 likes this.
  13. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I'm jealous that you can actually sleep on a plane in a non lying flat position!

14. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    thats pretty easy ;) I had two consecutive night-outs before the flight. I could have slept even if Ryanair was operating the flight :D

this formula works on every long flight :)

NYBanker and chaz4449 like this.
  15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    A brilliant strategy. :)

kyunbit likes this.
  16. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only thing worse than 15 hours in E- flying EWR-DEL is spending a 6+ hour layover choking on 2nd hand smoke in the FRA airport.

desamo likes this.
  17. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes AA 292/3 will be missed. I hope they return someday. I also hope that in due course others will also pick up the route.

Now, I have done ORD-DEL in just about all imaginable configurations over the past 30 years or so. Here is my preference order-

(1) If time and money allow, the best is to take a real break somewhere in the middle, at least allowing for a full night's sleep. If you can do some tourism, in addition to and not instead of the sleep, that would fun. In Europe my favorite is Amsterdam. However, there is room for out of the box thinking: Tokyo is good too, and no need to go into the city, just visit the town of Narita near the airport.

(2) My next favorite way would be a nonstop. Get it over with. If you can't sleep during flights, this advice may not be for you, but I can sleep and it works for me. :)

(3) After that comes a 3 hour connection. Less than that, I would be nervous about the incoming being late.

(4) Absolutely the worst is a 5-8 hour break in some airport big on additional security screenings. :) If you can avoid this, by all means do so.

(5) Normally you'd want to connect in a small pretty airport. In case of irrops, you'd want to be in the biggest meanest one (think LHR). I know, you can't plan your irrops, but that is still the choice.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  18. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did ATL-BOM (1200 miles more than EWR-DEL) and I had the same sentiments. Never again.

Except now I'm looking at EWR-DEL because I (1) need to go to India in summer and (2) need to fly UA metal for a status match. But I promise, never again after that!

harvson3 likes this.