Rio

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by AdamAlex, Jun 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suggest you contact jbcarioca.... he is one of the resident Brazil experts, and leaving that regional specialty aside knows all there is to know about the good things in life. You can rest assured he will provide proper advice... :cool:

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never stayed in Fasano or Santa Teresa but I have been in all three several times and have seen rooms in all of them. They are all excellent properties. My personal views:
    Santa Teresa has superb views, is impeccably maintained and gives some of a traditional Brazilian ambience. It is a very popular place for dinner and other events among locals. However, it is far from the action of Ipanema, Copacabana and Leblon.
    Fasano is the Philippe Starck mode, and is precisely that. It is very expensive and very much all that the designer implies. If you're a fan of Philippe Starck you're adore it; if not probably not. The Fasano group devotes itself to high style, and nobody does it better. It's location is right at the edge of Ipanema, near Arpoador and Copacabana, in the center of activity.
    Copacabana Palace must be what you mean by Orient Express, since they manage it. It is the Grande Dame of Rio, and is located in Copacabana facing the famous beach. It has spacious rooms, wide corridors and the ambiance of the 1920's, just refurbished to show all that style very handsomely. The Italian restaurant there, Cipriani, is one of the best in the city.

In short, all three of these are great places. Their style is distinctive, so there is no realistic way to rate one above the other IMO. That is a matter of taste.

As an aside, the Fasano group also has Gaucho's favorite Rio restaurant, Gero, perennially one of the top Italian restaurants in the city, and Fasano al Mare, an outstanding seafood spot. All follow the Fasano group policies regarding quality and price. They are special places.

Gaucho likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gero... yes, my favorite place to eat in Rio. Among other things because its not at the super top in terms of pricing while still being reasonably high-endish, and the crowd there is usually a perfect mix of younger and older folk. My better half and I are somewhere in the middle (in the age category) so the mix seems just perfect.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    And...if you like that ambience but are a cheapskate go for lunch, when they have an Executive lunch that is very reasonably priced. Now that the Real is chasing the Peso from a value perspective it is 15% cheaper than it was a few months ago. The lunch crowd is just as interesting as the evening one, but a trifle older and even wealthier and more powerful.

Gaucho likes this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never been for Lunch... must try it out then at midday next time we are in Rio.... :cool:

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. seysey

seysey New Member

Status Points:
    Rio is the best place for the vacation

jbcarioca likes this.