Rio Mar Beach Resort, a Wyndham Grand Resort, Rio Grande Puerto Rico (~22 miles east of San Juan)

Discussion in 'Other Hotel Programs' started by Sweet Willie, Dec 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed for two night stay at a very reasonable AAA rate. ($103+ tax). We didn't care about the quality of the view as we don't spend much if anytime in the room when we travel except to sleep, so we were pleased with the 4th floor garden view room (east wing) we were provided. Our room was where the wing has a bend to it, so the room itself is larger than the typical room. If one does care about an ocean view, I'd push for an upper floor room on the West wing as the East wing overlooks the pool area.

We did not experience any noise issues at all, despite being on 4th floor almost above the lobby which is on the 3rd floor.

Valet is $20 plus tip, self-park was $15. Valet was prompt & polite.
    The resort is VERY close to El Yunque rain forest www.fs.usda.gov/elyunque
    as well as being close to Luqullo Beach & the food kiosks/stalls there.

Upon our arrival, we had one lunch at the Tiki beach bar, consisting of a few beers, two sandwiches & an appetizer, cost was $66+ w/tip, obscene pricing, especially considering how poor the food was. After this experience we knew that we needed to go off site for dining/eats which we did for breakfast, lunch, dinner.

We also chose to have our own bottle of champagne on the beach at night, with a beautiful breeze and the stars shining, it was wonderful.

The pool areas seemed large, someone told me that there was a lazy river but we didn't see it. There is an adult pool. We preferred the beach, which is also nice to take a walk on.

I'll post some of the food options we chose when I go through my receipts.

Nearby is a decent sized grocery store called Amigo. Amigo is part of Walmart which we are not fans of but I think Amigo is the only grocery store nearby. We stocked up on water, beer, and some snacks here.

Most folks will probably take the new(ish) toll road 66 from the airport to get east towards the resort. I personally prefer Route 187 along the north shore, it is a beautiful drive on a two lane road and there are no tolls. 187 can be found right outside the airport (head west on 26 & 187 will be 1/2 mile from where you get on 26). 187 eventually hooks up with 3 which one takes East to the road that leads to the Wyndham. I noticed on our most recent trips on 187 that it is much more well marked than it used to be, each turn/intersection had proper signage. The only downside to 187 is it can be busy on Sat/Sun when the locals are out.

While Mrs Sweet Willie & I prefered the nearby St Regis resort (who wouldn't?), we found the Rio Mar to be more than satisfactory and would stay again (if the St Regis doesn't have their 50% off award promo going on)

2. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thx for sharing. Sounds like a quality resort.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    obviously not the quality of the nearby St Regis, but for a pricepoint just over $100 a night, I was quite pleased.
    If one goes to Puerto Rico, just understand that service is not a strongpoint (especially quickness of service) in no matter what venue (lodging/restaurant) one utilizes.

bobsgt and flyingdawg like this.