Rio in the Fall

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by NileGuide, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Rio de Janeiro is synonymous with sun, sea and sandy beaches, but, sadly for sun worshippers, the reality of Rio de Janeiro weather is rather less predictable. The city is just emerging from a summer that has veered erratically between scorching sunshine and pouring rain, and weather conditions are unlikely to get much more stable as autumn sets in.
    For those who find summer in Rio de Janeiro stifling (temperatures frequently pass 40 degrees), autumn can be a much more comfortable time to visit the city, with plenty of clear days, a more manageable level of humidity, and temperatures that tend to hover around the high 20s to low 30s.
    However, the threat of a potential downpour in Rio de Janeiro is never too far away, so if the sun shines, be sure to make the most of it. Clear sunny days are the time to visit the beaches of Copacabana and Ipanema and to take in the views from the Christ Statue and from Sugar Loaf mountain – save the museum visits for rainy days.
    When it comes to packing for your autumn vacation in Rio de Janeiro, you’ll need to be prepared for all weather eventualities. Yes, you’ll want to pack the suncream, skimpy beachwear and teeny tiny outfits, but be aware that evenings begin to get a little chilly around April, so bring a cover up for nights out, and girls might even want to think about packing some boots alongside those flip flops and strappy sandals. Guys, jeans and smart trainers are a must, and both sexes should remember to have an umbrella on hand in case of sudden downpours.

Continue reading...
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

The wonderful thing about NileGuide is how authoritatively they tell imaginary stories. The summer in Rio was fairly normal, but drier than most. Temperatures above 40 in Zona Sul are very, very rare although the high 30's are common. No day this last summer was above 40 in my part of Zona Sul.
    OY-JFS likes this.
  3. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

I live in Ipanema and it rains rarely here! Summer here is a Hell (Too hot), but there are people like my friends who love "Hell". I prefer a Winter getaway to Whistler and Sking. But there's no better time to come to Rio de Janeiro. Security has improved and the fares are great less than 600 dollars a round-trip from JFK/MIA/DFW with AA!!! I'm praying to rain and get colder, because I don't like warm temperatures!!! But for those who would like to come, it's sunny now with almost 90F!!!
    jbcarioca likes this.