Rio de Janeiro- Q & A Master Thread

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by jbcarioca, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taking a cue from Gaucho. Post all your questions and answers here. This is for both the city and the state, and includes Carnival as well. By next year we'll probably need a special one just for that but this years is under way right now.

I hope there will be a good supply of residents and non-residents with insights ready to share them

2. SocialAdept
    Original Member

SocialAdept Silver Member

Status Points:
    I appreciated all the info you're putting down for Latin America in this forum.

Basic question, I'm seeing on various sites that the best time to visit Rio is during Jun-Aug though I can't find an explanation. From what I've gathered from other forums the real beach weather is during Oct-Mar. So which one is it?

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not understand those sites, but the fiction is perpetuated widely. June-August is winter here, so it is the coolest season. IMO it is too cold for the beaches, but people still do hang out on them. Otherwise the season is very pleasant for visiting all the tourist sights.

The largest tourist season is Carnival (right now, this year) followed by December when huge masses of tourists, mostly domestic, come to see the Christmas tree in Lagoa (I'll make a thread on that one a bit later in the year). October-March the beaches are full, no question.

The best time to come to Rio, IMO, is whenever you can find the time and a good ticket.

Bonnie likes this.
  4. SocialAdept
    Original Member

SocialAdept Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, not if the main objective is to soak in the sun on Copacabana...

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but there is so much else to do. That is why I usually begin with asking people what they like.

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What can you tell us about getting into the city from the airport? Are the cabs expensive?

I've heard stories of people getting huge headaches from air pollution and traffic jams during the taxi rides... is that true or a myth, and if so what is a good workaround?

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The public Yellow cabs will cost about R$40 ($25) from GIG to Copacabana, Ipanema hotels. The drivers of those rarely speak any English.

As you depart GIG baggage claim you'll find a small group of kiosks with pretty girls inside trying to get you a private car. Those cars are about the same as the Yellow taxis but the pretty girls speak English and will arrange the trip at a fixed price, usually about double the Yellow price, but much easier and less traumatic for first time visitors. Many Brazilians also use those because they are less hassle than the Yellow ones are. I go with the Yellow.

I have not had any headaches on the trip in to the city. The road does get quite crowded if you're entering at rush hour, generally weekday mornings from 0800-1000 and afternoons from 16:00-19:00, but otherwise is about a half hour to Copacabana. Even though I don't get headaches there, the road between GIG and Zona Sul (Copacabana, Ipanema, etc) does pass through heavily industrialized areas and vast warehousing and light industry. Those areas are not attractive. If you think of them as the route from EWR to NYC via Route 1-9 etc, you have this trip pegged.

8. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I was in Rio last year during World Cup time and it was great. Saw Cristo Redentor and Sugar Loaf; went to Santa Teresa and joined in on a local party; watched footie on the beach with 100k of my new best friends; walked the beaches; ate and drank alongside the Lagoa; visited downtown during the day to see the hustle and bustle. What next? I can do a few days at a time [work keeps me busy] so I don't really have time to leave the city area - suggestions?

Interests: eating and drinking the same thing as the locals, ie away from tourists; city trekking; historic sites.

Cheers

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    One specific question: Subway safety and/or getting back to the beach from Santa Teresa at night. We took the trolley down from Santa Teresa and walked to the subway station. It was probably not the smartest thing to do as the subway was deserted but there really weren't any taxis, and we needed to get back. Is there a better way to travel ex-Santa Teresa to the beach. [should we just call you :)]

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am fairly conservative at night. Safety is getting much better but it still is not really good. Were I there I'd take a taxi from the beach rather than use public transport and walk in that area. Santa Teresa out you can call a taxi from your hotel, all the hostel/hotels have taxi numbers. During the day I would do just what you did.

11. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - but now I am confused. You're right, getting out to Santa Teresa from the hotel was easy in daylight. But at night, we ran out of options except for the subway going back to the hotel from Santa Teresa. How do I get a taxi in Santa Teresa? Is there a taxi stand somewhere on the hill?

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are, but telephoning is usually easier. Here are three taxi companies based in Santa Teresa:
    Santa Cooperativa de Trabalho Santa Teresa Castelinho Táxi
    Rua Aarão Reis, 151 - Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro - RJ, 20240-090(21) 2224-3609 ‎

TAXI ZONA SUL

R Falet 313 - Santa Teresa
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ | CEP: 20241-360
    Ver Telefone

Táxi

STA COOPERATIVA DE TRABALHO ST TERESA CASTELINHO
    R Aarão Reis 151 lj C - Santa Teresa
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ | CEP: 20240-090
    Ver Telefone

Táxi