Rimowa Luggage

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Chad, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at buying a couple of pieces from Rimowa (particular the Topas Titanium range). Has anyone had any experience with Rimowa? How do you find the luggage? I'm unable to get to Germany at the moment so am looking to buying online from a German store - any other ideas?

uggboy likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    All these online stores carry Rimowa:
    http://www.luggageonline.com/
    http://www.luggagepros.com/
    http://www.altmanluggage.com/

I have no personal experience with them, here are some web reviews:
    http://www.luggageonline.com/product-reviews.cfm?brand_ID=112
    http://www1.epinions.com/review/Rimowa_85170_Salsa_29_Trolley_Suitcase/content_418351058564

uggboy likes this.
  3. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a Rimowa Salsa 29". I bought it specifically because it's so lightweight and was happy with it until it cracked after less than a dozen round-trips. Rimowa replaced it - it couldn't be repaired - but they no longer had my color and I didn't care for any of the other options so I ended up with black, not quite what I wanted (the red color was one of the motivating factors in my purchasing the bag in the first place).

The new one has made it through a few trips but when it's out of warranty and breaks, I probably won't get another.

uggboy likes this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a full set of Rimowa and simply love them. It is lightweight as stated above and very durable. I have had them for over 1 year and they have flown over 150K miles with me ... both in cabin and in the belly. The two smaller pieces I use for my business travel and never have to check luggage even for 2 week business trips. I also like that they have the TSA lock built in.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will be happy to try to answer.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have the aluminum models - can large dents be hammered out?

Also to add an apology - I didn't know there was a luggage thread going in travel technology, I should have posed this question there. I guess my view of "technology" is too narrow!

uggboy and Gaucho like this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    No - I have the polycarbonate shell - and I have had a situation where it came off the luggage belt pushed in, iun the corner, and I opened up the bag, pushed it back out, and now would not even know which corner was pushed in.

No worries :)

uggboy likes this.
  7. samjones

samjones Active Member

Status Points:
    I've had a Rimowa Topas Titanium cabin trolley for the past 3 years that I bought on sale at the Bergman Luggage online store. The aluminum frame and rubber seal look great and the Rimowa luggage that I got comes with wheels that look like the alloy wheels on a car!

uggboy likes this.
  8. My kids are old enough now to leave them with their grandparents from time to time. My wife and I are so excited we can return, little by little, to our habit of traveling again. We love Europe. This time we would like to buy a Rimowa luggage as well. We can't decide which one yet but I know for sure I want one. I like how this type of bag can help you preserve some of the traveling memories, watching all the dents, stickers and scratches gotten along the way. I've seen pictures of bags like that and i loved the idea of doing the same. It's like a time capsule thing :)

uggboy and ACMM like this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not think you will be disappointed at all :)
    ... and welcome to milePoint Misu Iorgulescu! ... nice to have you here with us! :)

uggboy likes this.
  10. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have seen a Rimowa polycarbonate bag with a corner crushed in that was challenging to correct. My colleagues who use Rimowa generally like it.

My own choice is Victorinox's Werks Traveler line. Relatively lightweight and EXCELLENT warranty support. I have had problems with them -- handles breaking, wear, etc., but nothing catastrophic, and the warranty support makes up for many faults. I've recently seen some pieces at TJ Maxx and other discounters, and It can be pretty easy to find them second-hand on eBay or craigslist, too. All-in-all, I think it offers good value.

uggboy and Gaucho like this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a bag come out on the luggage belt with a corner pushed right. It was as simple as opening the case and pushing it back out. No damage and cannot even see which corner it was. I was very impressed.

Also had a strap break on the business trolley. Took it to the Rimowa shop and had it repaired in 2 days and back on the road.

[From my milePoint enabled iPhone]

uggboy likes this.
  12. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I'm quite happy with the Rimowa Topas I purchased. It managed to stay pretty much dent free with about six trips on Cathay Pacific - but one domestic flight on Qantas added some major scratches and sizeable dents. However I actually think it looks better with a bit of wear and tear.

uggboy likes this.
  13. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any idea if it's cheaper to buy them in Germany? (Assuming that we're able to claim VAT when we leave the country.)

uggboy likes this.
  14. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I brought mine from koffer24, which along with another German website, kofferdirect, was the cheapest I could find online. Both websites quote the tax inclusive amount which is removed at checkout - took about a week to deliver to Australia.

Valentine, uggboy and Gaucho like this.
  15. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just was in Japan and I saw people with Rimowa (and Rimowa-like clones too) all over the place. Seems to be getting quite popular in Tokyo.

uggboy likes this.