RIM’s PlayBook debuts at glam party but is panned for being half dressed

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by ACMM, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not an auspicious start?!

Source

RIM’s PlayBook debuts at glam party but is panned for being half dressed

JOANNA SLATER
    New York— From Friday's Globe and Mail
    Published Friday, Apr. 15, 2011 3:00AM EDT
    Last updated Friday, Apr. 15, 2011 6:55AM EDT

At a hip party on Thursday night in New York, bloggers mingled with hedge fund managers in an exhibition space overlooking the Hudson River. A bustling crowd munched on coconut shrimp and sipped glasses of “PlayBook Punch” – vodka, white wine and passion fruit juice – while peering at gleaming tablets displayed along counters. Research in Motion Ltd. was launching its boldest new bet in years: the much-anticipated PlayBook tablet.

But the celebration was not enough to drown out the fact that, in Manhattan and elsewhere, the Canadian technology icon was facing a serious setback: Critics’ reviews were harsh. Initial responses to the PlayBook, which hits stores next week, praised its display screen, smaller size and one-of-a-kind capabilities, but criticized the company for releasing a product that felt unfinished, with a limited number of software applications made for it.

... more in the link above ...

doc likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've been playing with one for a few weeks now... it's a fantastic device and the UI is a serious departure from anything RIM has done before, but I have to agree that it feels somewhat unfinished and some things could have been better.

The novelty of the touch sensitive bezel wears out relatively quickly, once you start having problems holding the device. It's too expensive for its size/weight/features as well, although perhaps the carrier-subsidized versions that will be released later might be more reasonable.

And since it doesn't have native MDS connectivity you end up having to pair it via Bluetooth with your actual Blackberry (using that Bridge software, which was not on the App World as of yesterday) in order to access your email and calendar. Not only does it feel tacky to have to do that but you need to have Bluetooth enabled on both devices, which leads to higher battery consumption.

It's not a bad device, and it's a really good "first step" into the tablet market for RIM, and certainly an auspicious start to the whole QNX integration, but overall I don't feel that I would buy one. At that price point it makes more sense to buy a Xoom or an iPad.

doc and bakedpatato like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find it hard to understand that they couldn't finish native PIM/email apps in time for the launch. As a non-BB user, not having email and calendar on the device is an immediate showstopper. And it should have been clear to them that this would get a lot of attention and promote the notion that the device isn't really finished.

And then the name... (not that it ultimately matters, but it seems to show some confusion): PlayBook - it's neither a gaming device nor a noteBOOK (it's a tablet!).

I did like the UI I saw at CES, but it looked heavily "influenced" by Apple's iOS and Palm/HP's WebOS.

doc, adambadam and bakedpatato like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well it wasn't that they didn't finish it, it's that they actually designed it this way. It's strange, but from the security perspective, it "kind of" makes sense. None of your PIM information is on the device itself, it's simply stored in a temporary container after it's paired with a Blackberry and transferred via secure Bluetooth. Once you're done with your email/calendar/whatever, you drop the bridge and the data is gone. You lose the Playbook, it doesn't matter because none of your info is on it.

Of course this is a huge problem for non-Blackberry users, but the theory is that you can live with the gmail client or some other POP/IMAP client from the App World (or reportedly some Android client like K-9 Mail) if you're a "consumer", whereas Enterprise guys will use Bridge and their Blackberry device.

Looks like they can't win regardless though... if they had included native MDS connectivity and a full email/PIM setup then people would be calling it "a big Blackberry" (much like those people that call the iPad "a big iPhone"), plus they would be undercutting their hardware sales on the handset side, which I assume is the reason they didn't go that route. With the current setup -- as bad as it is -- you need both a Blackberry and a Playbook to access your enterprise data, which (if it works) is a genius move for RIM, although some companies will bark at the expense.

jmrich1432, doc and bakedpatato like this.
  5. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, personally while the Playbook has some nifty features(wifi sharing!cool!wireless sync?take that Apple!), its too under-featured for its price tag. I do understand that this is your tertiary or even 4th internet connected device, but a built email client would be nice for a company that built its reputation on email.
    Thankfully they're avoiding the Windows/OS/2 Warp binary compatibility pitfall to an extent by asking android developers to resubmit their apps to the blackberry app world,I had orginally heard that the Playbook would run android apps "natively"(ie:from the APK)
    Plus it seems to have memory/performance issues ATM.
    QNX is a cool OS though , RTOSes are always cool in my book :)
    (from AnandTech's review)
    [​IMG]

doc likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, well... nope.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/15/rim-playbook-email-client-very-very-soon-3g-model-this-summe/

That's nothing but their current marketing spin to explain away the gap. But it's a bit silly: If web clients are good enough, then I suppose it really doesn't matter what device I buy since they all have essentially the same webkit browser capabilities. Might as well go with the market leader then.

And why would they care? The "big iPhone" sold millions and squillions.

And since I need both, I won't buy either one :)

mikew99 and doc like this.
  7. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes.. FWIW, a VERY nice event..
    And they also offered a lil' free swag.. sparkling new hardware to attendees ..
    Can u say 'blackberry playbook'? LOL :D

http://nycplaybooklaunch.stage.esolutionsgroup.ca/Signup/Success

This debuted to decidely mixed reviews..
    IMHO, it depends very much on what ur expectations may be..
    Blackberry, by RIM, was once a must have... Recall 'Crackberry', as we know..
    Has it jumped the shark?
    I surely don't know..
    Some folks just love Apple and the ipad2..
    And others.. well.. IDK, what do u think?

8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, personally, a, an Apple fan. I have not, and will not, own a BB. iPhone, iPad ... iWant :)

9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    PlayBook shakes off bad press

Link

Michael Lewis Business Reporter

Despite some tepid reviews and a bumpy launch, inaugural sales of Research In Motion Ltd.’s PlayBook tablet PC appear to have topped forecasts, with 11 per cent of stores stocking the device sold out on the first day, analysts said Wednesday.

RIM may have moved about 50,000 PlayBook tablets on Tuesday’s launch day alone, including online preorder sales, RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky said in a note to investors citing checks of 70 retail outlets.
    That would be about one-sixth of the 300,000 iPads Apple Inc. sold on launch a year ago, but far better than lacklustre first-day sales of Motorola Inc.’s Xoom tablet running Android software and even of the popular Samsung Galaxy Tab.

More at the link above ...

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh... some kind of problem with the Bridge software not being supported by AT&T... so if you have an AT&T Blackberry, you might not be able to pair it with your Playbook.

Not a good look for either company, all things considered.

bakedpatato likes this.
  11. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its "in certification" with AT&T....that and NoDo eh? :rolleyes:

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well messing around with the new version of the software they seem to have fixed quite a few of the earlier problems, and introduced new functionality on the Bridge which wasn't available before.

You're still lacking native email clients -- instead having links to the web version of Yahoo/Hotmail/Gmail -- which will undoubtedly be a letdown for some consumers. On the corporate side the introduction of MDS browsing is a plus, even though we're having some issues with DNS resolution of some internal websites.

Overall it's a "nice" device, but the cost is actually pretty steep for the Wi-Fi version. I'm not sure that you'll see a big adoption from the consumer end for a 16GB "bring your own internet" device for $499 unless it's wrapped around the Apple Reality Distortion Field.

bakedpatato likes this.
  13. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to say I am a fan of the BES Browser functionality via the bridge. Its always good to get internet everywhere kinda on it. And since these days I am writing mobile webapps that is a good thing for me.

Also, It works fine with AT&T you just saddly need to go to the website in your browser on your computer and connect your BB to it to load the software.

OR if you are okay with installing jads grab them here : http://crackberry.com/att-blackberry-bridge-download

I installed the 6.0 Cods, but I needed to also upgrade my Handheld Device OS from the experimental 481 build to the Production 526 build before the Bridge worked on my torch.

You can grab that here :
    http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/...os-6-0-0-526-blackberry-torch-9800-via-t.html

Make sure to backup everything if you need to upgrade your OS.