Ridiculous or not? Hotels don’t always change sheets between guests

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:

I'll admit I'm a bit freaked out. I thought local health laws would mandate the changing of sheets.:confused:

Glenn Robins is grossed out. As a frequent traveler, he assumed the sheets on its bed are changed between guests.
    But a new TV ad by the Hampton Inn chain calls that assumption into question. It shows housekeepers changing sheets in hazmat suits, at what appears to be a competing hotel chain.
    “The implication was obviously that other hotels do not change the sheets for every new guest,” he says.
    Robins is troubled by that.
    “It’s a disgusting enough thought that the sheets were not changed,” he told me. “It gets even more disgusting when one considers the previous tenant’s possible activity.”
    A confession: I changed the last part of Robins quote to spare you some graphic detail. Use your imagination.

JSpira, lin821, Horse and 3 others like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This stretches credulity does it not. In the Berlin Pensyon in Bergama, Turkey at roughly $2 per day, I felt lucky there were not too many animals in bed with me. Since then, however, I think they've all changed the sheets between guests.

3. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    OMG, this freaks me out, as well!! :eek: For countless reasons, I feel there should be health laws in place to deal with this sensitive issue.

doc and jbcarioca like this.
  4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never thought there was a law (or even a regulation) mandating this, but assumed hotels would do it as a matter of course.

I'm fairly sensitive and can feel if the sheet is clean or not (as long as I've showered before bed). There was one time, at a Best Western in the L.A. area, that I felt the sheets were dirty when I checked in, and on closer examination found hairs in them.

A separate, but in my view related, issue is how drinking glasses and mugs are cleaned. In my experience, most hotels have the housekeepers wash them in the room -- an unsanitary practice. If I don't see racks of clean glasses on the carts, I use disposable cups.

The link also mentions showers not being cleaned. In my experience, this is even poorer than the drinking glass/mug situation: at most properties, housekeepers tend to do as little as possible to make things look clean. At a recent stay at the Hilton Prague, for example, I was surprised that the bathroom floor was mopped every day -- definitely not the norm.

5. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    YUCK!

6. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I can confirm sheets are not always changed.

At the wyndham riverfront if found more than a hair in a bed. Thank goodness my best friend didn't sleep in that bed the night before I arrived.

At the W Chicago Lakeshore, I had lipstick on the pillows. Red lipstick.

Sometimes I wonder about the quality and common sense of the staff hired. I mean if they think it's ok for me to sleep on dirty sheets maybe they shouldn't be in this industry.

This is why I ALWAYS do a thorough check of my room before I unpack a thing!

Take.me.away, doc and jbcarioca like this.
  7. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ewwwwww. This is worse than feet on the bulkhead.

doc, viguera and jbcarioca like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have used the word disgusting rather than ridiculous in the thread title.

In all of my travels, I was only once aware of a case in which the sheets hadn't been changed from the previous guests and that was the evening before an important interview. I arrived late, settled into my room, and then noticed the problem. I opted in favor of sleep rather than insisting on either clean sheets or a clean room. I slept in the clothes that I had worn on the plane and tried to avoid touching anything in the room. Ick!:eek:

9. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    EWWWW

Now I have to wonder if the sheets in my room this week were changed.... I haven't found anything yet! I think I would have been happier not thinking about this...

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes and welcome to MP. I just gave you your first like.

Gatorray, doc, jw3711 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    OMFG! Blah. That is so gross. I always wear flip flops in hotels, never walk with bare feet in the room or the shower. I don't use the glasses and I always put the blanket on the floor (I know they don't change the blanket/comforters every night) but I thought I was good on the sheets. Ugh!

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why you have to mess up the sheets... if everybody did this, there wouldn't be any question about whether they changed them or not.

Just like if you get a bread basket at a restaurant... whatever you don't eat, take a bite out of or at the very least break it up with your hands. Bread recycling -- just like not changing linens -- is a no-no.

:)

13. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's awesome. :)

14. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very much so!

15. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for that! This is the first time I've really checked things out. I like the "like!"

I feel like I am finally figured out FT, now I just need to figure out how everything works here!

16. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    +++++1
    sdcarver

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can check your post and like counts by clicking on your avatar or username. Then if you click on the number ot status points you have, you can see exactly when and why they were awarded to you.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  18. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the word refers to the question of if hotels do this, not the practice itself.

That's awful!

By the way, something to think about is carrying large or small sanitizing wipes to use on high-touch surfaces, such as switches, knobs, remotes, faucets, shower controls, etc. Paranoid? Maybe. Obsessive? Maybe. Improving the odds at small cost (both dollars and effort)? Absolutely.

I recommend the Super Sani-Cloth: large or small. Note that these are surface wipes, not hand wipes (don't use on skin). For hand wipes, try Sani-Hands.

19. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips! Probably not the right forum for this quesiton, but.... what do the status points mean/do?

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    They get you to some of the "elite" levels on MP. For example, if you achieve 25 points by May 15, you'll become an Original Member. When you get 100 status points, you'll become Silver. (If the algorithm doesn't change first.)

21. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

22. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    it does not surprise me that much. I already experience this in Days Inn Orlando. Although it was obvious sheets were not new/clean, there was no way they would change them. So we had to go downstairs and get a new key so that we can have a new room...

23. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh my god, i actually saw this "bread recycling" happened in front of my eyes at a restaurant in Zurich!!!

24. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I saw "chip recycling"at a mexican restaurant once. Never went back there :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    Talk about the impact of a mere hotel advertisement. Hampton Inn's advertising agency certainly did its job. :D

jbcarioca likes this.