Ridiculous or not? Airline rules were meant to be broken (by elites)

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by thewinchester, May 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now I suspect I'll be preaching to the choir here, but I suspect Chris Elliott might be off smoking the single flight a year cool-aid with this latest missive:
    I'm surprised this surprises Chris, let alone anyone else who travels often enough to understand how the system works.

However, these last two paragraphs irked me the most - enough to make me leave a rather strong reply:
    In part, I'm of the view that an Airline is no different to any other business and how they treat their customers. And if you don't like how you're being treated compared to others - then you can always vote with your feet and take your business elsewhere:
    What do you think - too hard on Chris, or is he really drinking the cool-aid?

jmrich1432 and Chimpy like this.
  2. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    He is certainly on something :)

3. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think he's hard pressed to find something to write about. None of this should surprise even the kettles.

jmrich1432, viguera and Chimpy like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed... almost seems like a filler article that he dug up. My guess is he's got next week off for the holiday or something and wanted to get his vacation started early. :)

jmrich1432 and FetePerfection like this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, just a little muckraking, I suppose he figures most of his readers ain't road warrior types who even know what it takes to get elite status. Nothing like a little populism, jack up those ratings. :)

6. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suppose the practices described do seem rather unfair when viewed from the perspective of folks who do not travel often. It's a shame the article does not point out that frequent flyers do not receive these privileges for free - we pay for them by virtue of the amount of business we give the airline, and in the majority of cases the metric used to measure that business is miles flown in a calendar year.

7. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    About 15 kilometers from my house, there is an Arab restaurant I eat in almost every week. As I always get the exact same meal (I love the lamb there), the owner gave me a reduced price (60 shekels instead of 80) about two years ago and has kept that price since.

I don't have to order when I go there. They know exactly what I want and how I like it prepared. The owner, the chef, and the two waitresses who work there greet me by name when I come in. I also get served more quickly than other customers.

My UIG (Used Italian Girlfriend) has a home in Tel Aviv and has been using the same repairman (he is apparently a plumber, an electrician, and a general fix-it guy) for years. He owns a hardware store and anything that she needs for the house (she seems to break locks on a regular basis), she gets from him.

When she calls, he puts her on the top of his worklist for the day.

Any business, small or big, that wants to keep good customers gives them special service in one way or another.

8. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    That column irked me too, The argument that it is unfair is absolute hogwash!

There is not a standard single price fare for every passenger on any flight. The amounts differ by purchase date, venue purchased from, and by type of seat purchased. If and when all fares purchased by every customer are exactly the same then the fairness may possibly be brought into the equation.

The people that do not fly regularly have not spent thousands and thousands of air miles (BIS) sitting in the middle seat, back rows, etc to earn an elite status. If and when they do then talk about "fairness" might be legitimate.

Finally, as everyone has mentioned, taking care of your core business is an essential part of doing business. Without customer good will a business has a hard time competing in the market place, when other things are equal, that good will can tip the scales in your favor.

thewinchester likes this.