Ridiculous LHR Fees

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by Captain Oveur, Oct 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I normally avoid LHR at all costs, but it's more challenging if you're flying in from the U.S. to specifically go to London.

Looking booking an award ticket in F, it's the mileage plus $1,250 in fees.

Am I correct in remembering that it's not the flight coming in to LHR that's taxed up the wazoo, but it's the departing one?

What's a better (cheapest) alternative? Eurostar to Paris? Fly to FRA? Any other inexpensive ideas?

B1BomberVB, uggboy, mht_flyer and 2 others like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The good ol' LHR APD sticker shock treatment, ey? I do truly feel your pain for I'd railed against it before.:mad:

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In what program? Odds are that much of that is YQ.

Yes.

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my last three trips to London I flew once to CDG, once AMS and once FRA, connecting into LHR. The first two were Business and the third was F. The total fares, taxes included, were roughly half that of any carrier going nonstop to LHR. Eurostar I do not know about for certain because I have not done that myself. Friends who use that say originating in Paris is much, much cheaper than originating in London. Probably true. I do not know, but the choices I made were all convenient and largely hassle free.

tondoleo, uggboy and YULtide like this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why don't you follow the time-honored path of flying INBOUND to LHR/UK then using the price difference to pay for the fam to ride Eurostar one way LON to BRU/CDG/AMS, and spend an extra day there and then depart....without being whacked by F class APD? Overall you'll save money, have a day in Paris, and send a message to the Exchequer that APD is reviled and can't be tolerated.

This APD fiasco is intolerable and I feel so strongly, it's the only time in recent memory that I've supported a BA CEO's call to action - WW's petition about this amassed a load of signatures. You ought to sign it too.

B1BomberVB, iolaire and jbcarioca like this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the responses.

Looks like Eurostar is the way to go.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the return, yes. Flying in to London doesn't change the fees at all. The same YQ charges will still apply, and they're quite a bit more than the UK APD.

Mrlasssen and jbcarioca like this.
  8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just discovered something. I was looking at booking tickets on a direct BA flight (with AA miles), that brought the fees to $1,250.

If I do a connection on AA (AA direct not possible), the fees go down to $300.

Still......

B1BomberVB likes this.
  9. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can fly from Belfast (BFS) the APD is negligible on the TATL to the U.S. UA has a nonstop BFS-EWR, five times weekly during the low season. No preclearance in BFS as from DUB, so arrivals into EWR will have to go through all the formalities there and a terminal change for onward connections.

10. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which is exactly what has been said repeatedly above. The vast bulk of the $1250 is not tax but YQ.