Ridiculous amounts of miles needed to fly

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Michael0l8p, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I recently redeemed 150,000 miles to fly from Miami to San Francisco, SFO to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Bangkok, Chengdu (China) back to Hong Kong, Hong Kong back to LAX and then back to Miami. Great deal!
    I then tried to book a trip from Miami to Montreal on points and it cost me 75,000 points!!!! This seems ludicrous to me. Can anybody explain it???

2. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 75k miles award ticket wasn't the lowest possible miles award ticket that might be obtained, if available.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi Michael0l8p, welcome to MP! :)

I'm sure someone can explain, but we'd need a little bit more information from you.

1. Who were you flying?

1. What kind of award did you try to redeem for the two trips?
    2. What class of service did you fly in? Economy, business, or first?

Once we get a little more detail, we can walk you through the miles charged was determined.

4. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Was this on Delta? The mileage needed for award tickets can be staggering.
    A coworker had to spend 160K to fly LAX-MNL in coach flying DL. :( I mentioned to her to try AA. She is using AA miles and for less miles, she is flying Business. :)

5. Kohoutek
    Original Member

Kohoutek Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you're saying that you booked an open jaw round trip award MIA-Asia for 150k, and now you want to book MIA-Canada and it will cost half the miles, 75k.

Why is that strange?

For example, for one-way economy off-peak fares, on AA it costs 12.5k miles to fly between any two points within the US/Canada. It costs 25k to fly between any point in the US/Canada to any point in Asia Zone 1. If you use your award ticket for a hop between MIA and FLL, yes you will be getting ripped off compared to using an award ticket to fly MIA-NRT.

There are always good values and bad values for award redemptions. (OK, maybe not on Delta ;)) The trick is to find the good ones, not to complain about the bad ones. The excellent values are there for the same reason the bad values are there - awards are priced based on wide geographical definitions.

Sweet Willie likes this.