RI Wants B6 to Fly Out of PVD

Discussion in 'JetBlue | TrueBlue' started by Ktremor, Aug 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ktremor

Ktremor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chafee leads delegation to persuade JetBlue to fly out of T.F. Green

Governor Chafee will lead a delegation of Rhode Islanders to the offices of JetBlue Airlines in Forest Hills, N.Y., Thursday in an effort to persuade the airline to fly out of T.F. Green Airport in Warwick.

The Rhode Island delegation is scheduled to meet with JetBlue president and CEO Dave Barger. The group will include Warwick Mayor Scott Avedisian; Laurie White, president of the Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce; James Bennett, director of the Providence Economic Development Corporation; Kathleen Hittner, chairwoman of the Rhode Island Airport Corporation; and Kevin Dillon, president and CEO of the Airport Corporation. The Rhode Island Airport Corporation is the state agency that runs T.F. Green.

JetBlue is a low-cost airline, with its main base of operation in New York. It also flies out of Boston’s Logan Airport, where it has been battling with rival Southwest Airlines.

Southwest is the dominant airline at T.F. Green. Passenger traffic at Green has been declining for several years, which Dillon has blamed on a declining economy. Another factor, he said, has been Southwest starting service at Logan, which has drawn some passengers who would have flown out of Rhode Island.

Dillon said Rhode Island airport officials have met with JetBlue on a number of occasions over the past several years, and Thursday’s meeting is part of a continuing effort to impress upon JetBlue the benefits of operating at Green.

“My meeting with JetBlue, an airline that has found tremendous success with its commitment to customer service and affordability, is part of an ongoing effort to further establish Warwick as a transportation hub and economic engine for the state and the region,” Chafee said in a statement.

JetBlue released a brief statement saying the airline is constantly evaluating destinations, but it had nothing to announce at this time.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/CHAFEE_JETBLUE_08-25-11_PPPUIG4_v10.4f96c.html

Sean Colahan likes this.
  2. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Surprised I missed this. Would be interesting what routes B6 would run out PVD. Def not NYC, LAX/LGB is out due to too short runway. FLL/MCO/SJU are options.

3. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This could be interesting. Spirit used to fly PVD direct to a few FL airports and I think Nassau but that was short lived. I'd love to see JetBlue service to PVD but I'm not so optimistic.

4. The runway that Jet Blue uses for take-offs in Boston ( 9-27) is 200 feet shorter than the T.F. Green runway. Jet Blue could fly to the West Coast from Green now. That's why RI governor and staff are chasing this airline. The Jet Blue Airbus 319/320 fleet is designed for small runway length operations. Jet Blue can operate out of any commercial passenger airport in the U.S. No active commercial jet runway is too short for them.

The terminal rental costs at Green are going through the roof and car rental situation is horrible. As is true with many other smaller airports, the airlines are switching to regional jets and props. More and more previously loyal Massachusetts bound or resident passengers are switching to Logan. Jet Blue would be out of its mind to slam the door on Rhode Island's governor. But, it is not going to start operations at Green any time soon.

5. Ktremor

Ktremor Silver Member

Status Points:
    The runaway is in the process to be approved to be expanded by I believe 1600 feeet.

6. Scott Weinberg
    Original Member

Scott Weinberg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think those specific route will be goods. B6 will have a consider to start direct flight from PVD-MCO/TPA/RSW/FLL or SJU, too. That will be a logical choices. I think LAX & LGB can have enough more runway. I'm prety confident PVD will have construction more runway extension from 6,000 length feet to 9,000 length feet.

7. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points: