Rhea Mae and Tiago - resident Pergrine Falcons of the Sheraton Centre Toronto

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by canucklehead, Apr 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never knew this, but the Sheraton in DT Toronto has been a home for a pair of falcons. This year they have returned to lay four eggs!

The Peregrine Foundation has a website devoted to sightings and a blog of the webcam.

here are some shots of one of the falcons and the eggs.
    falcon laying egg.jpg falcon egg#1.jpg 3 eggs.jpg

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  2. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thats like the FalconCam at Cleveland's Terminal Tower. They've had Falcon's at that building - in the middle of downtown - for well over a decade.

3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Peregrine falcon chicks banded

Four baby falcons nesting on the ledge of the Sheraton Hotel's 43rd floor were banded Tuesday morning as part of a Ministry of Natural Resources program to keep track of the magnificent winged creatures when they fly south.

[​IMG]

MrsBobSgt and canucklehead like this.
  4. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    How old are the baby falcons?

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Additional info from thestar.com.

The chicks range in age from 16-23 days old. They’ll be completely dependent on their parents for another two and a half months.​

Around their 40th day, the chicks will attempt their first flight, says Nash.​

That’s when the foundation’s volunteers are needed most.​

Uncoordinated and naive, the birds’ early attempts at air travel do not resemble the majestic soaring of their parents.​

So for the first week, from dawn until dusk, volunteers watch the fledglings, attend to any fallen birds and protect them from the urban dangers below until they can confidently flap and glide on their own.​

Fledge watching, as it’s called, helps reduce the birds’ 80 per cent infant mortality rate, Nash says, calling it the foundation’s “primary function.”​

Thirty years ago there were no peregrine falcons in Ontario, according to Nash, who talks about the birds with a Steve Irwin-like enthusiasm. Pesticide use, especially DDT, almost wiped out the species altogether.​

Today, there are more than 80 peregrine falcons in the province and 16 pairs in southern Ontario. Two years ago, the species was upgraded from “endangered” to “threatened.”​

MrsBobSgt and Wurm like this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first egg was laid March 26th and the first chick hatched May 1st.

MrsBobSgt and Wurm like this.
  7. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was involved in the program in the '80s that introduced Falcons to downtown Toronto. Nice to see it's still working. Helps keep the streets clear of mice and rats too!

Cheers,

Grace, Wurm and canucklehead like this.
  8. I have been watching the Sheraton Centre Peregrines for a couple of weeks now and I've got to admit I am a little concerned about the small male who is now only 1/2 as big as it's siblings. I find myself watching to make sure he gets his fair share when mom arrives with food. Fingers and toes crossed that he makes it to adulthood.

MrsBobSgt, Wurm and SC Flier like this.
  9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint, Maddox!

10. Wurm likes this.
  11. I have to stop watching. It's starting to upset me that the little male has to struggle to get a bite to eat. His siblings have become quite aggressive at feeding time. Just watched as mom brought a pigeon for them and he waited, and waited so patiently and then finally gave up and retreated to the far corner. Hopefully, by the tme the others finish there might be something left for him :(

12. I'm curious. When it's really hot like today (34C) how do the peregrine chicks get fluids. I know there is some in the meat they eat but surely not enough to prevent them from getting dehydrated?

13. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure which time zone you're in, but would you prefer to wait until after lunchtime for an answer to this question?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+do+baby+birds+get+water

14. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    barf..... literally! :D

SC Flier likes this.
  15. I could be wrong but one of the fledglings seems to be missing. All day today, I have only seen three fledglings. One of them had lost all it's down and was frequently perched right on the edge of the ledge while stretching and testing it's wings. Anyone have news?

16. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    falcons1106101824.jpg
    I see four there right now. All fledglings? Or is one of them a parent?

17. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    MrsBobSgt likes this.
  18. Mea Culpa! False Alarm. Yes, I just counted four with mom dropping by also. I'm astounded at how big one of the fledglings is, bigger than mom!

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  19. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not a good weekend to be a pigeon in downtown Toronto.

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a lot of wing spreading and ledge squatting by the fledglings, but no movement towards flight. The weather is sunny, but with gusty winds (10-20kmh, or 6-12mph, a bit more in the business corridor).

21. Has anyone noticed that one of them likes to sleep on it's back? Too funny! :)

22. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a very disconcerting pose. I think its William (not our SPG Champion, but the youngest of the brood). Perhaps he likes sleeping on a cushion of down (between his wings).

Does not look like they will take flight today. Probably too full from the three feedings they had. They are watching the sunset. Three of them (Kate, Sunshine and Cinammon) all together, WIlliam sleeping upside down! :)
    [​IMG]

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  23. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only see on bird this afternoon, from the look of the feathers, its probably the youngest one.

Hmmm, mother just came back, but only William is eating.....

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  24. Actually, I was watching on and off from about 4:00pm Toronto time and all four were there but the largest (Kate or Sunshine, not sure which) was at one point sitting on that pole like structure in the middle of the ledge and actually flying from that pole to the edge of the ledge. There was much flapping of wings and running up and down today but now, 8:45pm, I think I only see one in the very far corner near the tray, sleeping. I hope the other three didn't all decide to "launch" because I don't think two of them looked really ready.

25. I have to admit I'm concerned, worried, anxious, and desperate to hear/see news. I'm not so sure anymore that I see William sleeping in the corner next to the nesting tray. If all four decided to take flight this evening, I'm praying for a safe outcome. I am no expert, just a very avid falcon and hawk watcher, and I just don't think that William would have done well considering he was still carrying a lot of down. I also worry about those Turkey Vultures and Red Tail Hawks who would see them as easy pickings. News, please, news!

MSPeconomist likes this.