RGN-Originating Flights Craziness. What are the mechanics?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by schnitzel, May 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm actively watching the long and fast-moving thread on FT about the insanely low ex-RGN flights.

In case you haven't seen it, the bottom line is that OW or RT flights originating in RGN (that's Yangon, Myanmar - formerly Burma) are/were pricing in the $250-$600 range for many itineraries, even in first. Most were taking flights to the US, but some were to Europe, and some even to South America. It's pretty amazing, and pretty widespread, and some fares seem to still be available. Here's the thread:

Cheap fares from Yangon/RGN

Something that really hasn't been covered over there is, how could this happen, and who is left holding the bag if a ticket gets honored?

There are speculations that this is all due to a currency conversion error and/or devaluation. If so, who or what company would have had to make that mistake for it to affect all of these airlines and both Amadeus and Sabre? I really don't understand how something this widespread can happen.

MPers: do any of you know the mechanics behind this type of situation?

SensFan, mrredskin and sobore like this.
  2. Au4882

Au4882 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only mechanics I know is that my ticket was just cancelled by KE. Fail.

schnitzel likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Crystal ball says there will be some unemployed IT people at a GDS near you. :D

4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The continuing saga of a mistake fare.....will they or will they not honour the price? Tune in regularly to listen to the discussions. :D

schnitzel likes this.
  5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    From personal experience, I can tell you that KE will not (canceled mine through Vayama).

I'm currently hoping Delta will - although no A380 this way.

What's GDS?

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    schnitzel likes this.
  7. aka60

aka60 Active Member

Status Points:
    Do airlines/travel agencies have some kind of insurance to cover an event like this ?

schnitzel likes this.
  8. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure they have errors and omissions policies, but I think they'd rather just cancel.

9. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one thing that I have learned from this is to keep an eye open for any currency devaluations. That thread is a fun read.

schnitzel likes this.
  10. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's amazing what people find - it's crowd-sourcing at its best.

One guy researches a booking engine, the next goes to DOT regulations, others are still posting working itineraries.

If the legal stuff catches on, and all of these minds join in, this could become even more interesting.

11. deltagold84

deltagold84 Active Member

Status Points:
    Looks like some fares are still out there... now, how to get to Myanmar ??

12. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't sound too tough. Just get to BKK/SGN/KUL/SIN on points, and buy a cheap flight for the last hop.

I keep trying to follow over there, but it's moving pretty fast. Vayama is losing some popularity.

13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone get a paper ticket?

schnitzel likes this.
  14. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's another hot topic over there - some argue that a paper ticket is worse (beyond just the cost and nuisance involved) in that if you agree with an airline to make changes eventually, you have to present the paper to them.

MrHalliday and canucklehead like this.
  15. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but the argument would be that at least you can change a paper ticket, whereas an e-ticket could be cancelled by the airline.

16. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, many over there have disputed that, saying that a paper ticket can also be canceled. I really don't know - haven't had a paper ticket in years.

17. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel agencies get a debit memo from the airlines. It's cheaper to cancel the ticket than pay the debit memo. It doesn't make sense to file a claim on your E&O as you risk losing your coverage.

schnitzel likes this.
  18. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless they're looking at hefty fines from a governing body, which many there think is conceivable.

19. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, but it's still more prudent to cancel the ticket, thus avoiding the debit memo.

20. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily - that depends on the DoT response to complaints. If a large fine is levied, the cost-benefit calculus will change radically. We may be nearing this situation with some of the KE-plated RGN tix that have been unilaterally cancelled across a range of OTA's and not only Vayama.

It's pretty clear that the BA DEL event and their attempts to renege shaped some of the text in the current regulation. Which specifically calls out mistake fares as an invalid reason for dishonoring ticketed itins.

21. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having some problems with an RGN ticket I booked using an OTA. Developing a long email chain of why they say my ticket was ineligible but have had to correct them each time re: the specifics they cite! :mad:

22. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I were one of the people that booked an ex RGN ticket I would have bought a rev ticket to BKK/SIN then to RGN because then insurance would at least cover the positioning costs. (Not to mention the free vacation in BKK/SIN/HKG/ICN as a stopover!)

23. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you mean travel insurance? That covers carriers canceling related flights?

24. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    It looks like Vayama decided to fold in this high stake poker game and we'll all get our tickets reinstated. All done here. I'm not planning on staying in Burma at all for obvious reasons, we'll be flying in and out of RGN on the same Thai plane for one res, Silk Air on the other.

I'm pretty surprised that they actually honored the fare, I'm quite sure the new DoT regulations had everything to do with it and I'm also quite sure that the DoT will get a reaction from the airlines and travel agents on this new rule.

25. phuucnguyen

phuucnguyen Silver Member

Status Points:
    My 2 res are still intact, (knock knock). The position flight for Thanksgiving is done (CX F to BKK, Air Asia to RGN). The one in Christmas is more tricky to position, might have to stay in RGn for 1 night and may need to take an one way F award from United. let see the thing unfold.