RFID Credit Card Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by royce242, Apr 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm about to buy one of those RFID protection wallets by Secrid but needed some clarification on something. I've done some research but can't seem to find the answer....

Are RFID credit cards only the cards which offer the "wave and pay" feature?

Or are the credit cards which have that silver or gold chip on the exterior of the card RFID cards as well?

So basically theory holds that people can scan your credit from a distance. But can they only do this for the "wave and pay cards" or can they do it with all chip cards, such as the Chase Marriott credit card? Is the Chase Marriott card an RFID card?

Finally, which credit cards offer "wave and pay" technology? I'd like to get one!

Thanks in advance!

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    RFID chips are entirely embedded inside the card, so there are no visible contacts on the surface. They can be scanned from a distance, so yes -- the cards with such chips can offer the "wave and pay" feature. The cards that have a RFID chip are identified by this symbol somewhere on the card.

There aren't very many RFID-enabled cards anymore, b/c they are obviously less secure. Chase Marriott does not have that feature (plus the metal in it would block the RF waves).

If a card has gold or silver contacts on the surface, then it contains an EMV chip. Those chips can not be scanned from a distance, hence the need for electrical contacts. Expect to see more of those in the future, as it's the international standard.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    gaijin62 and LIH Prem like this.
  3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG Amex has it, it's the paypass symbol on the back of the credit card (just the logo that looks like radio waves). At least mine does. Not sure if the new ones have it or not.

Walgreens has the readers, but for some reason they never work, and the clerks tell me it never works there. I think I've used it before at some convenience stores.

-David

MX likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe AmEx eliminated the paypass (RFID) feature from SPG cards in 2013 (or 2012). My recently issued cards don't have it anymore.

LIH Prem likes this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi offers this as an added feature. They will send you an separate wave and pay sticker type deal. The idea being that you could put this on your cell phone, etc. Sounds like a good idea except people can still it at a distance. Although since it is rare I can't imagine that many hackers sitting around the bus stop, airport, etc. trying to scan everyone that walks by. Then again you never know.

6. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why??

This is a solution to a problem that you may not have - now or in future. As others have said, credit card issuers may already be pulling back from offering the wave-and-pay feature because of security concerns and broader U.S. implementation of EMV's contact-required standards for new cards.

My Global Entry card has RFID embedded, but it's only useful if you're doing regular transiting of borders with Canada and Mexico by land - totally useless for air travel. And it comes with its own metal-lined sleeve for RFID protection. That leaves the new passports, which I understand also have an RFID feature. Can anyone who has one say whether they also include a sleeve?

For lots more info on EMV including RFID/NFC discussion (maybe more than you really want), check out this thread on Flyertalk:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-available-today-chip-pin-chip-signature.html

Oops - I meant to say TOBB, for those of you who have a problem with the rowdy crew over there. ;)

Counsellor likes this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    They don't. You have to buy your own Faraday Cage.

othermike27 and flyforawg like this.
  8. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha Ha! Maybe Magellan's or Travel Smith will offer metal-lined jackets or sportcoats.

[Edited to add this breaking news] So, I checked just now. Nobody seems to offer stylish travel clothing with RFID protection, but there is one source that sells all kinds of RFID protection gear, including:

1. a disposable shielded poncho ("Is this you? Your skin is burning, your heart is racing, or you are feeling irritable and spacy as pulses of microwave/RF radiation wash over you. It could be in your own apartment, on a plane or subway car, hotel or class room, workplace or movie theater. Even just walking down the street!")
    2. a 4x8x7 "quiet zone retreat" faraday cage
    3. RF-shielding boxer shorts, so your, er, well I'm not real sure what that's for. Maybe procreation protection?
    4. a balaclava shield so you can look menacing while staying protected
    5. a "brain coat" - pitched as RF shielding for your mind so you can look like an idiot - my favorite.
    But don't take my word for it. Check it out yourself at

http://www.lessemf.com/personal.html

Sorry to hijack this thread. The OP is probably regretting posting the question at all.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Counsellor likes this.
  9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I got my passport pocket (they call it an "RFID Blocking Passport Sleeve") at www.idstronghold.com some years back. I don't know if they still sell them.

RF-shielding boxer shorts, eh? What'll they think of next. :rolleyes: