Rewards for jewelry purchase

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by bluesman, Jun 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bluesman

bluesman Member

Status Points:
    I am going to be making some big purchases soon mainly an engagement ring. I was hoping to turn to the experts on which credit card might be best one in terms of rewards

jwsky and marcwint55 like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you think you can easily get approved for a new card, then the biggest bang for the buck will come from a signup bonus. Choosing which card(s) to apply for will depend on a type of reward you'd prefer, e.g. hotel points, airline miles, or cash back. Try to estimate your upcoming spending, and match it to the minimum required for your desired signup bonuses.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. bluesman

bluesman Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I pretty much have most cards offering decent sign on bonus
    Chase Sapphire Preferred
    Chase Ink Bold
    2 amex premier rewards
    2 citi aa cards
    chase southwest card

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about Citi Thank-You Premier or Amex SPG? Both have great signup offers.
    Also, the cards you already have come in business versions. You're allowed to have one of each (personal and business).

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shop somewhere that gives you the discount for paying cash and skip the card completely. Unless you're getting a pretty sizable sign-up bonus that you otherwise couldn't cover it definitely isn't worthwhile.

MX and marcwint55 like this.
  6. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    bluesman,
    You mentioned in a subsequent post to your OP the cards you have.
    I'd say pick the card that gives you the most bang for the buck.

Congrats on your engagement!

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    congratulations on your engagement. I would recommend getting referrals from friends and trying to find a diamond wholesaler. you will save a lot of money on the stone and you can easily have a setting made for the ring. if you are spending a significant amount, I would recommend a GIA certified stone.

Wandering Aramean and MX like this.
  8. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also check out the shopping portals on Ultimate Rewards, Amex, etc. If they have a ring you like at the right price you may get yourself some extra miles in the bargain (I'll be buying an engagement ring soon myself; I may get it through Blue Nile on the MileagePlus shopping portal...and be several thousand miles closer to our next flight adventure together).

lotso-bear likes this.
  9. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Costco. Not very romantic. And not on any of the shopping portals. But, the prices are good and you can bring it back easily. You will need an Amex in the store, but can use any card on line.

Max M and LizzyDragon84 like this.
  10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use a United Club Visa to earn 1.5 miles per dollar on all purchases. You won't get a sign-up bonus, but you seem to have run out of options in that department.

11. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 for bluenile.com, since it's on UR Mall for 2 pts/$...but the costco prices do seem to be amazing. If anything, you can use these 2 sites to compare prices for stones, but you'll have to add $ for a designer setting.

jwsky likes this.
  12. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently started looking into this myself. The best options I see for a Blue Nile purchase are using the Capital One portal for 5% cash back on top of 1% back using the credit card making it a 6% total return.

The others best options for me were AA shopping portal for 3 miles/$ + the BA visa for 1.25 miles/$ or Ebates for 2.5% cash back + bank wire for another 1.5% cash back.

Anyone see anything better?

13. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree about Costco.

Hands down, it's the best choice. I bought my fiancee's ring there on Costco.com, and have been VERY pleased. It was both GIA and IGI certified. I considered BlueNile for getting additional miles/points, but released I'd have to compromise for a lesser quality ring if points/miles were more important than price and quality.

The quality and price for the ring purchased for my fiancee from Costco even beat what my future sister-in-law could offer me, even with her employee discount at a local jeweler. :eek:

As jwsky stated, sure Costco isn't, but if your future spouse is brainwashed that they need to have their Diamond from an overpriced jewelry store just because of the store's image/hype, you might want to evaluate your prospective future spouse's MO.

If your future spouse truly loves you, they shouldn't care where you get your ring from.

Even if you don't have a Costco membership, your savings will exceed your membership cost.

14. TravellingScholar

TravellingScholar Active Member

Status Points:
    First and foremost, congratulations on your engagement!

Regarding your question, try to focus on the actual ring you want as opposed to the points/rewards you'll get for it. It also depends on how much your ring will likely cost. If the price is high enough, you may find it difficult to get a CL that will support your purchase.

Like many other posters said, you will likely find a better deal by offering cash and/or shopping around. We did the same thing recently for a ring (paid cash), and it turned out to be the best decision by far.

15. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    At Costco, if you are an executive member, there is 2% cash back. I bought an engagement ring there after shopping around. We are both happy with it.