Rewards for extended stays?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by AMPfromBNA, Feb 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know how Marriott treats an extended stay? I'll be in a rural area for a few months, and the TownePlace Suites offers an extended stay option at a reduced rate without taxes. Main perk is being able to leave things in the room over the weekends. Does this type of stay typically still earn points and nights towards status?

daninstl likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you have a special negotiated rate that doesn't earn points, you will earn points and nights credits.

However, check the Marrriott rules for extended stay properties. With RI, for example, you only earn points at half the usual rate and you don't earn on various miscellaneous hotel charges, just the room rate. These rules have nothing to do with how long you stay.

daninstl and AMPfromBNA like this.
  3. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Might also be worth looking at another chain too. Get enough nights for Marriott Platinum and then try to get top status at Hyatt, SPG, or Hilton.

daninstl and flyforawg like this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't done a long stay at a TownePlace (there seems to be a Residence anywhere I need / forced to stay) there is nothing in the MR website to show that you wouldn't earn both nights and points and you can always spend a little time and call and ask.

daninstl likes this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife had a Marriott corporate apartment for a few months last year. Basically Marriott has a sub brand that does corporate furnished rental apartments. She was able to get some points but it was very weak. I think she ended up with like 10,000 total for 3 months rental.

I like some of the Candlewood IHG properties. They also discount the earn rate but the way the rooms are set up is really good. Residence Inn is slightly better in some cases but it all boils down to the location and property. Usually you can talk to the local hotel manager directly and work out the best pricing deal. You can inquire about the points also. I do like the idea of earning elite status at several properties if that's an option.

6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those are the Marriott Executive Apartment properties. I've stayed at them occasionally, and they're very nice, but they earn only 2.5 points or 1 air mile per US dollar spent on room rate only and one elite night credit for every three nights stayed.

They also have a similar set of properties called ExecuStay that has the same low earning rate.

daninstl likes this.