Reward miles for cruise

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Cmanc92974, Dec 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Cmanc92974

Cmanc92974 New Member

Status Points:
    I am looking for suggestions for booking reward miles for a cruise. Flying into one European city and at cruise end flying back from another European city.

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on your cruise line, plenty of airline offer portals where you can earn miles per dollar spent on cruises.

The only caveat I've seen is that when you book through anybody other than the cruise line directly you generally can't reach out to the cruise line later on if you need to make changes or just to talk to them about the reservation. That's usually not a big deal though.

3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not 100% if your asking on how to earn miles or use miles. I'm assuming you want to efficiently use miles to work a cruise into your plans.

My wife and I flew to Rome early this year and sailed on MSC to Italy, France, Spain, Tunisia and Sicily and came back to Rome and flew home on US Airways miles. Back when you could book Envoy cheaper. It's higher now or you can fly coach really cheap with US Air in the off season. We did it in January which was great. Hardly any tourist in Rome or Barcelona and we got lucky with very little rain. Genova was the only place it was kinda cold early in the morning. What we also liked was by starting and ending in Rome we could take the train to the port and it was really easy. We also loved MSC and they offer multi port itineraries. In other words they embark and debark people at each of the main ports so you can take the same cruise from Rome, Genova, Marseille, Barcelona on the same ship.

I guess you should really look at the best deal for the miles you have or want to earn, availability of reward seats and dates, airports, etc. and compare it to the cruise lines dates and prices. I used vactionstogo dot com to compare since they list most of the cruises by date, price, etc. Just cross reference that with your airline needs. They offer good deals on that site but you can book for about the same from many sources since price variance on cruises if very minor usually. Don't worry about trying to redeem miles for cruise fare or earning cruise lines points for cruises it's not a good deal. I think a couple airlines and a couple hotels allow redemption for cruises but the rate is terrible.

4. milestomemories

milestomemories Active Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget you can use cards like the Arrival to pay for a portion of the cruise. I used the $400 bonus on the Arrival card to pay for almost my entire re-positioning cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles a few months ago. As far as looking which airlines to accumulate miles in for various airfares to Europe, that is going to depend on the time of year and which cities you are looking to fly into. I suggest digging around on the forums or looking at a primer on one of the blogs.