Reward Inventory Repopulation

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by cries, Jun 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. cries

cries Member

Status Points:
    Technical question; couldnt find answer using search:

Is there a particular time of day that cancelled inventory is repopulated back into the HH booking system? (ex: at midnight all the cancelled rooms will be added back to inventory?)

Im trying to hunt down 1 day that I couldnt book. Need to figure out what is the best time of day to search if it became available again.

Thanks for your help.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tough to know because it is an incredibly dynamic process that is taking place worldwide while, at the same time, being property-dependent. Therefore, my sense is that "repopulation" of reward inventory is also done dynamically per property. By this, I mean that it is happening all the time and not according to a fixed schedule or time interval. Some evidence for this is how quickly one's account updates after one cancels; it is usually within minutes. Updates are just as fast if one cancels and rebooks for paid or rewards stays. So, the suggestion is to keep checking. Who knows, you might even get a hit when the award rates are more favorable...

As an aside, it is a good idea to keep checking one's reservations to see whether the rates got better since one booked. Quite often, I have returned to my reservations, requested to book the same reservation again for comparison and found a substantial drop in rate (points or cash). Recently, I had initially booked a room for Hilton Milan @ 299 euros/night. A few weeks before the stay I checked again and the rate had dropped to 177 euros/night -- a ~70% drop! I rebooked and cancelled the original booking, which one can do up to 24hr of the stay.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Counsellor and WilliamQ like this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except for the pre-paid (advance booking) rates.... :(

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few years ago I wasted quite a bit of money after I tried to save some by locking in an advanced purchase rate (APR) then having to cancel the stay altogether. The money was gone because it was pre-paid. Since then, I have been avoiding APR like the plague, preferring the flexibility and peace of mind that the best available rate (BAR) provides...;)

WilliamQ and blackjack-21 like this.
  5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lately I've found that the AAA/CAA rate is sometimes lower then the APR and the BAR yet without the onerous prepaid noncancellation/change clause if changed or cancelled within the individual property's time limits, which are usually up to a day or two before arrival.

WilliamQ, NYCUA1K and Counsellor like this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good advice! And a good tip for the occasional traveler.

I do this routinely now since I accidentally did it some decades back and found a significant price drop. It's much easier now with everything accessible on line.

The key is to check shortly before your arrival date, since as the date approaches, a hotel with lots of unsold rooms may reduce the price or put them on "special" for the slack period. I will normally try about a week out, then again the day before (or just before the free cancelation period runs out).

I would say I see a reduction in about 25% of the cases lately. Not sure why that is, but there it is, and it can save you money. If you book early, you may be able to take advantage of low rate specials, and if you check back just before arrival you may get "remainder" specials.

blackjack-21, WilliamQ and NYCUA1K like this.