Revolut prepaid credit card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Laptop Nomad, Oct 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found this app on IOS and android. Here is the site https://revolut.com/. You put money on the card through your debit card, and you have a true chip and pin card. You can exchange money for no extra fee, you can also have multiple currency's on the card. You can draw money from an ATM, or buy what you need with the card. Of course I have no vested interest in this card it is something I am contemplating using on my next international trip.

FrequentMiler likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Interesting. For debit loads they say they need an address match, interesting to see if pin-enabled gift cards work like debit cards here and then you'd be limited to those that allow you to set an address. They claim that during their first 12 months they do not add any fees of their own.

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  3. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for pointing this out. I installed the app and have tried a number of things with it. Unfortunately, it's buggy. I was able to load money to the card with a regular(ish) debit card, but not with gift cards.

Withdrawing money is a bit tricky too. They show the ability to withdraw to a local bank account, but the feature doesn't yet work. Instead, if you have US bank accounts, you have to do an international transfer and many banks charge a fee to receive money this way. I tested by withdrawing $100 to CitiGold checking (which does not charge a fee). The app reported an error but then showed $100 debited from my total. It will be several days, at least, before I know if the $100 made it to my checking account.

Laptop Nomad and gleff like this.
  4. Laptop Nomad

Status Points:
    What I found buggy was that I tried to do the identity portion of the app. It would not take a picture of my passport or driver license.

5. Laptop Nomad

Status Points:
    Frequent Miler I take it you did not get the card yet? You transferred money through the app?

6. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's right

7. mcbelisle

mcbelisle Active Member

Status Points:
    I was able to get the app to take a picture of my passport.

8. Laptop Nomad

Status Points:
    Do you have a Iphone if so how did you do it?