Revolt of 30 Super Elites

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by milchap, Jul 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chimpy and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    very interesting thread, thanks for posting it here milchap.
    Disappointed that Aeroplan ignored the question re: fuel surcharges on AE redemptions, putting it on AC's shoulders. They totally ignored that UA and CO do not charge them on MP/OP redemptions using AC as a carrier, in fact, I had a choice recently of either using CO or AE points and once I figured the surcharge, the choice was a no-brainer.

The next step is up the SE's and how they respond....media, boycott....

4. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the E's will unite and join the SE's?

5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am puzzled that this SE initiative has not had more traction.
    It reminds me of the early initiatives of Errorplan.com when FFs took AC/AE to task for gutting the program

Chimpy likes this.
  6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its kinda depressing that other threads got a lot more interest than that one.

milchap likes this.
  7. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    it does not surprise me that AP/AC did nothing.

Exit Row and janyyc like this.
  8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    They did get a response in quick time. It was not the response hoped for but they did an answer...

Chimpy likes this.
  9. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    you call that a response?

10. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting. I initially missed this on the other board because I have pretty well given up on AC/AP. I won't repeat what I posted there, except to say there is a tipping point for everyone, and I am very glad I am no longer caught in the AC/AP vortex. I now fly AC only when it beats all other alternatives, which isn't all that often.

Cheers,

milchap likes this.
  11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure there would be any other response. What could have AC/AE have done to placate these guys? While I agree the majority of members will find a minimal change to the program, and the increases for the truly exceptional awards are outrageous (40%+ for our favourite F mini-RtWs), those who are complaining can earn many more times the miles than the average AE member who is hurt even more by the changes at the premium end, in effect they are pretty much squeezed out of that range of awards. SEs earn 100% bonuses on the flight miles, have their companies pay the bill for their flights and fly premium (for more bonus miles). While I am in the camp that is most affected, I think these guys while making a cogent and well research argument, come across as spoiled elitists. (Where were they when the Elite program was decimated? When we fought the battle for eCredits in December instead of 2-month validity certs?)

And they really didn't ask the cogent question about all the charges AC levies but other STAR partners don't. Or why I can use my MP miles for flights on AC and not pay these levies.

I suppose I have lived through several rounds of devaluation, but there's nothing stopping these guys from putting the AC fights into another more generous STAR program once they've achieved whatever elite status they want to hold in AE.

unclepants likes this.
  12. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    they could have said they were wrong...no? oh wait, that would require they admit that as one airline they can pretty much screw all....AY has some posts from the 90s about the concern about that.

13. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="Canadi>n, post: 570918""While I am in the camp that is most affected, I think these guys while making a cogent and well research argument, come across as spoiled elitists".[/quote]

Yes sirrreee bob.

14. AC needs to find another way of giving out rewards for flights. Aeroplan is a separate company making money for their mostly separate shareholders.
    Aeroplan actually pays for seats they get from AC under some,now archaic formula, and that would have to change in order for the ridiculous charges to disappear. The bank CC,s have caught onto the additional surcharges and have the same fare structure as AE if you use minimal points. In other words the airline is using the fuel surcharges and taxes to effectively assist the points issuers cost base.

mtacchi likes this.
  15. No not this bunch, AC cant seem to make real headway making a profit so the only thing they know how to do is cut. So far after 10 years its not worked.