Revising An LAX - HKG Itinerary To Add Hanoi?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by Whatwasthat..., Mar 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Whatwasthat... Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I recently booked my first OneWorld Partner Award (AA Miles for CX Flights) for me and the Missus, this coming October – going from LAX to HKG (10/9) in First, returning from HKG to LAX (10/20) in Business. But now we’d like to meet up with my Brother for a few days in Vietnam (Hanoi / Halong Bay), so I’m wondering if there’s a way to adjust or re-book my tickets (but keeping my original in/out travel dates) to cover a stopover in Hong Kong (for 4 or 5 nights) on the way to Hanoi, then stopping overnight in Hong Kong for one more night on the way home?

While coach tickets on Vietnam Airlines are currently going for around mid-$300 each r/t in this window, I’d prefer to do this leg on CX or Dragon Air if I could (and those coach tickets are currently running almost $800 each r/t - :oops:).

If any of you would be willing to share your thoughts/experiences on whether this sort of thing might be possible (and if so, how I might best go about getting this ticketed), I’d very much appreciate it – thanks!

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you're AA-Plat, it will cost you to make a route change. Alternatively, you can add a separate OW award trip HKG-HAN-HKG for 30K mi in economy, or 45K mi in business.

Whatwasthat... likes this.
  3. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this MX! Being only an AA Gold, I was figuring there'd probably be a fee to make a change. But I'm wondering whether the fee (if a route change would even be possible) might be a better expenditure than 60K / 90K miles (2 tix)? By chance would you have any thoughts on the likelihood of being able to make a route change of this sort?

Thanks again!

MX likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being AA-Gold will certainly save you the agent fees for canceling and rebooking your trip. There will likely still be award availability, but not necessarily on the same flights that you're canceling. Also, your trip is long enough to consider a OneWorld Explorer (distance based) award. If you go that route, you may be able to add more travel at no or little extra miles.

5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    OW Explorer awards only get you good value when doing an all-J itinerary. The OP would have to downgrade to J and hope there's J space on those flights.

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was assuming that if the OP cancels the original route, they'll do a RT award in J. One ways may not be possible with multiple stopovers.

7. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you MX and Jimgotkp! The reason I booked the mixed-cabin itinerary initially was that I couldn't get availability in 1st or Business RT. Perhaps I should see if anything's opened up to let me do this now? I also hadn't considered an Explorer Award before (this process is still quite a learning adventure for me :confused:). Time to do some additional research. Thanks again!

SS255 likes this.