Review: Sofitel Buenos Aires Arroyo

Discussion in 'Accor | Le Club Accorhotels' started by SASDC8, May 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. SASDC8

SASDC8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was our first time in The Sofitel Buenos Aires and our first time in Buenos Aires and Argentina as well. Before departure I was having a difficult time choosing between the Sofitel and the MGallery Ceasar Park hotel, but landed on the Sofitel and I am very glad I did.

We arrived in Buenos Aires after a 13:50 hour flight from FRA at around 7 in the morning and arrived at the hotel at around 9 am. From the moment we stepped out of our car we were greeted by the nice and cortious Sofitel doormen and security staff.

At check I was especially welcomed as a Platinum member, and told that they would upgrade us to a Penthouse suite if we wanted. Only problem was the PHS was not ready yet (nor did I suspect it to be at 9 am), and the we would have to wait until it was available. We were also given to possibillity of not taking the upgrade and go with the prestige suite that would be available sooner. We chose to wait for the PHS, and finished the check in process with big smiles. We then went to their restaurant Le Sud for breakfast and they did offer a decent ala cartè menu or a not so decent buffet to choose from. When it was clear that the PHS would no be ready until 1400 (2PM), we were given to oppurturinty to go to the So Spa to shower and change clothes. Perfect after 28 hours of travel :)

After a quick shower and a change of clothes we went out and explored the beautiful city centre. We returned at around 1330 and went to the bar for drinks while we waited for our suite to be cleaned. At around 1400 one of the check in attendants came into the bar and gave us our key cards addressing me by name, though I had not met her before. Great service and throughout our stay we were greeted by name, and they always knew who we were and where we were going. Through five star recognition :cool:

The Sofitel Buenos Aires Arroyo is located in an old 1920s office and luxury apartment building, and offers great Art Deco design pisces.

The suite was as the name suggests at the top of the hotel covering the 19th. and 20th. floor. They have two of these suites, and you do feel rather special when you walk out of the elevator to find just two doors one to the lest which leads into 1901 (our room) and one to the right which leads into 1902. The suite was were nice with a small guest bathroom, office and leaving room on the first floor, and the bedroom (with its own 42 inch TV and minibar) and master bathroom (as expected low water pressure in the shower) on the second floor. The suite also offered great views of the city center.

The concierge were excellent in suggesting things to do and see, and restaurants and bars to visit. The also got us tickets to an a Tango Show (horrific tourist trap, but facinating show) and tickets to a Boca Juniors game at their home stadium and that was a truly epic experience for the football (soccer) fan in me :D

We had breakfast (don`t prebook this as it is a lot cheeper to buy it in the restaurant) every morning in Le Sud, and we also had two very good dinners there, when we did feel like going out. They offer a small, but good quality dinner menu and have a good wine list and a very good sommelier.

On the last night we and another couple were invited to have drinks with the Senior management of the hotel (a bit like dining at the captains table on a cruise ship), and they were really nice and listened carefully to our feedback about the hotel and everything else. A very nice gesture, and the fact that it lasted for an hour made it quite special.

Sofitel Buenos Aires scorecard:

[​IMG]
    - Service from everyone
    - So Spa svimmingpool and steam room
    - Concierge [​IMG]
    - Great food at Le Sud
    - Good bar
    - Security
    - Doormen
    - Senior management
    - Architecture
    - Front desk attendants

[​IMG]
    - Some bugs in some of the public spaces (obviously normal in Buenos Aires)
    - Water pressure was rather low in shower on the top floor (great in the Spa)
    - Housekeeping might be a bit slow at times
    - Bread selection at breakfast, but this improved vastly during our stay
    - Cordless phones in the suite, were useless and needs to be replaced

Would I stay there again: Big Yes
    Would I recommend it: Big Yes

Video of the PHS, sorry about format:

Cheers
    Stein

lsed and uggboy like this.
  2. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait for the video!

PHS!!!

Can't say I've heard of another hotel giving such a great upgrade for Plat members.
    I stayed in a suite at the Park Hyatt BsAs. Completely loved it. But PHS upgrade sounds crazy. Perhaps its time I did a trip there again.

uggboy likes this.