REVIEW - Renaissance Portsmouth, Virginia

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by River in Sight, Sep 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. River in Sight

River in Sight Active Member

Status Points:
    I could not find any reviews of this property on milepoint so I have posted a review of my recent stay on my blog. In short, this is a perfectly comfortable hotel located right in historic Portsmouth - it's convenient to Norfolk via ferry and also within range of Virginia Beach. When I visit Virginia Beach I usually spend at least a night or two at this property in order to have some more "grown-up" dining options and because I think Portsmouth has a fair amount of charm.

This hotel was downgraded to a Category 3 this year and that can make it a pretty good value, points-wise. There are a few good dining options nearby to this hotel and I've provided links to them in my review. I would be glad to answer any questions on this property.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't find a review on MP so you put a review on your blog?????????

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO just another shameless advertisement for the poster's own blog.

4. River in Sight

River in Sight Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi - I am new here and did not realize that was a problem. I have copied and pasted the content below if that is easier for anyone:

Check-in
    This hotel was recently downgraded to a Category 3 – at only 15,000 points per night, this hotel can be a pretty good deal on points depending on what the going rate is.

At check-in, I was upgraded to a Concierge King – I’ve stayed at this hotel several times and this is the traditional upgrade for a Platinum; the hotel has very, very few suites. Breakfast coupons were not offered, but the lounge was open for one evening and morning of my stay so I was only on my own for breakfast one day.
    Room
    The room was an oversized but otherwise typical Renaissance room with a view of the Elizabeth River out the window – there was a daybed by the window in addition to the king bed. The HVAC was very quiet and effective and I did not hear any noise from either other rooms or the river traffic visible out the window. Standard toiletries were provided with the addition of a small tube of Aquafresh toothpaste (just like the ones Hyatt uses). Everything was clean and the bed was very comfortable.
    Gym and Pool
    The hotel gym was recently renovated and expanded and now has three treadmills, two ellipticals, and one upright bike – all with TVs built in. In addition, a set of free weights and several strength training machines (e.g. leg extension, bench press, etc.) are available.

There’s a small indoor pool (max 4.5′ deep) with a small hot tub along with a few lounge chairs – the pool is too small for laps and on the weekends often has a bunch of kids.
    Concierge Lounge
    Breakfast chits were not offered on the weekend, but during the week the concierge lounge serves breakfast until 945AM – on offer were scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, cereal, muffins, fruit, and other baked goods. The bacon was very good for a buffet, and in general the food quality was high.

I missed the evening service as it had been taken down when I arrived at 6:58PM. Beer is available in the lounge starting at $4.50 and light desserts are available after snack hour. For my money I’d rather spend a little more at the lobby bar as the selection is much better and outdoor seating is available.
    The lounge has one computer with a printer and has great views of the water.
    The hotel is located across the river from Norfolk and the Hampton Roads Ferry service stops right outside of the hotel – it’s $1.50 for the ride quick ride to Norfolk. There’s a AAA minor league baseball stadium across the river from the hotel, and on game nights a special service runs right to the park.
    I often use this hotel as a base for trips to Virginia Beach – with no traffic, it’s only 25 minutes and I find that this hotel is much nicer than any of hotels right on the beach; I also think that Portsmouth has better dining options.
    Other
    • Coffee: Check out Starboards Coffee Kiosk right to the south of the hotel – great coffee and the proprietors can tell you everything you need to know about Portsmouth.
    • Food: Try Still for Tapas – great food although the service can be slow when the restaurant is crowded.
    • Drink: Check out the Bier Garden for a great beer selection and German food. Both this and Still are within a 5 minute walk of the hotel.
    • Parking: Parking at the hotel is $10/day, but on the weekend I always park my car on the street and have never had any trouble.
    Conclusion
    I think that Portsmouth has a lot of charm and I enjoy staying at this hotel. Although a 25-minute drive, I like staying here for Virginia Beach trips in order to get away from the beach and enjoy the better, more grown-up eating and drinking options here. Norfolk attractions are also very convenient to this hotel.

5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    yup. i've seen others on here post info about promos, contests, or sweepstakes that link to THEIR blog that THEN links to the actual page. it's a shame.