Review of Park Hyatt Washington

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by jfhscott, Oct 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had four stays at the PH. It is an excellent hotel, with subtle, unobtrusive, service and even more subtle luxury. I am always very comfortable there and it offers a wonderful respite from things I may not like so much about Washington. Everything is understated, reminding me of an old moneyed New Englander who needs no splash nor dash to prove that it is worthy. And I should note that the Blue Duck Tavern is excellent, and one of the only places I know to enjoy marrow. As much as the mid-atlantic is not neessarily a distinguished center of gastonomy, their upscale local fare is excellent. (now if I can only convince them that Tidewater Virginia hams belong on their menu . . . ).

I've always used a suite upgrade and never been disappointed. Depending on floorplan, however, one can get a living room with a sofa which is fully 12 - 14 feet long, which I have found and odd design element. Diamond breakfast seems to be evolving. The baseline is that one gets the diamond breakfast in the bar/lounge - it is a separate diamond menu, but quite adequate. It offers eggs of any style, and my request for "benedict" has never been denied. My understanding is that, subjet to a $28 pp guideline, one may order off the regular menu, and if one goes a tick above that, it will be covered. I dunno just how aggressive one may be. Availability of room service for diamond has evolved. I've never had room service, but my understanding is that it was once covered entirely, but, subject to price limitations, is now subject to service charge, delivery fees or other like charges.

I do gotta small beef. The "diamond" "food and beverage" amenity is food or beverage. I suggest this falls short of Gold Passport's requirements. So gracious a property should get this right, especially when the burden of getting it right is minimal. This, however, won't keep me from coming back.

TAHKUCT, RichardInSF, Wurm and 4 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the excellent insights into this Park Hyatt property!:)

RichardInSF likes this.
  3. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should also add that the PH offers free bicycles. Being next to Rock Creek Park and quite close to the C & O canal path, this is a lovely feature. Being diamond is particularly useful, as one can get a 4:00 check out, permitting time to clean up a bit after a ride.

TAHKUCT, uggboy and RichardInSF like this.
  4. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the excellent review. After reading, I checked out the Blue Duck Tavern menu on its website;on my next trip to DC, I intend to stop by the restaurant, even if I end up staying elsewhere.

(PS, if you're ever in Vegas, the Cosmopolitan's Wicked Spoon dinner buffet often features marrow bones).

uggboy and RichardInSF like this.
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my favorite hotels in the States. The incredible welcome starts with the doormen and I have always been pleased with everything about the hotel. Okay, the shlep to the pool/gym is a tad crazy but it is truly the only small issue I have ever had. I love the place.

TAHKUCT, uggboy and RichardInSF like this.
  6. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd add that my experiences at this hotel have also all gone well. It's a bit away from most things to do and a moderate walk to the nearest subway station, but that's not proven a major problem for me so far. There aren't enough Park Hyatts in the USA, but this one is definitely worthy of the title.

Steven Schwartz and uggboy like this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the nice review.

I have booked Park Delux King via FHR. FHR benefits at this property include 12pm early check-in, 4pm check-out, complimentary continental breakfast for 2 daily and $100 food and beverage credit during a stay.

I called Diamond line and wanted to use my Diamond Suite Upgrade and was told that I would be upgraded to Park Parlor Suite. Looking at Park Hyatt DC website, I do not see any room description for a Park Parlor Suite. The only thing I was told by Diamond desk it is slightly over 600 sq feet.

For people who used Suite Upgrade at this property, what suite did you end up getting?

Steven Schwartz likes this.
  8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have had suites ranging from very nice to exceptional. I cannot imagine that you would be disappointed. The hotel is incredibly gracious in terms of taking care of guests. They truly "get it". I don't know your Hyatt status, but I have been there as a Platinum and a Diamond and the only difference was free breakfast! If you are lucky enough to be greated by Mustafa as a doorman, every welcome you receive in any hotel after this will pale by comparison. Each time he makes me feel like he was waiting for us to return! Don't worry - enjoy!

TAHKUCT likes this.
  9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear. Then I will just use my Suite Upgrade at this property.

10. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have had exceptional stays here before and after the remodel. Our last visit was during the royal wedding and they provided us with an amazingly lavish breakfast during our viewing party. We cannot emphasize how wonderful the staff have been to us over the years. As for breakfast, I am not a fan of the BDT options on offer nor the hard surfaces. It can get very loud.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  11. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a link to a photoset I took at the PH after the renovations. Even with some refurbishment, the general room stuff is the same.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  12. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing pictures. Was that a Parlor Suite that you got?

13. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can report back after another stay, this time 4 nights over Christmas.

As always, the service was seemless, unobtrusive, but uncannily there and efficient when you need it. The Blue Duck Tavern was also excellent. I hate to call it a "hotel restaurant", as that term is a bit pejorative. But given that it is in the hotel, has integrated billing, and the shaker design motif carries through to the hotel I think it pretty much fits the definition of a hotel restaurant. And it is perhaps one of the only "hotel restaurants" anywhere I deem a destination unto itself. And either being a hotel guest or diamond (cannot tell which) got me in when reservations would have otherwise been impossible.

Once again, diamond "food and beverage" amenity was food or beverage. (This hotel is so very gracious - I don't know why they cannot improve upon that). I had a Nice bottle of white, I think it was chardonnay, but distinctly not Canvas (which is an OK wine, but given the chain-wide ubiquity is seems that Hyatt corporate picked up a bunch at some blowout sale).

For breakfast, I generally stuck to the diamond menu in the Blue Duck's lounge (I wish I could articulate how this lounge is actually quite appropriate and pleasant for breakfast). Minor deviations were tolerated, but I do not know the upset point.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  14. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your report. What did Diamond Menu included?

15. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would call it heavy continental. It may be a bit limited, but includes eggs of any style, and I typically request Benedict, French toast, pancakes, coffee, juice. And I believe they typically bring a small basket of breakfast-appropriate breads. This is not the place for gluttons, but well adequate.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  16. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you.

17. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just spent the weekend here on a FHR rate, using a suite upgrade. In summary: What a fabulous property! This was my first stay at a Park Hyatt. I am thoroughly impressed.

Our initial (and I take it, standard) upgrade was to the Park Parlor Suite.

We arrived a bit early (10:30 or so -- FHR reservations get 12PM check-in). The room they blocked for us was not ready, but rather than have us wait for it, he got his manager's approval to upgrade us to an Executive Suite, which was immediately ready. Score 1 for service and making a great first impression!

The room was lovely -- a corner room, lots of natural light. The living/dining area was huge, with a giant couch, a dining table for 4. There was a 1/2 bath near the entry, and the full bath off the bedroom. There was a little office/sitting area between the 2. I don't recall the name of the toiletries but they smelled divine (and I swiped every bar of soap to use at home :)).

The staff were very warm and welcoming at every interaction.

Diamond breakfast was the "American" breakfast, which was plenty of food and quite delicious (the potato cake with the eggs was excellent).

I called to ask about getting room service on our last morning, since we had to head to the airport before breakfast started in the restaurant, and I was told this would be fine -- no mention of any service/delivery charge, etc. In the end, we decided to sleep in rather than eat though.

We used our $100 FB credit for room service, which was food from the Blue Duck. Absolutely superb -- we did the bone marrow, the beef rib, the grits (ooooh, the grits!) and the brussels sprouts. My husband and I split all of this and were stuffed, though not too stuffed that we couldn't manage to eat the peanut butter ice cream (OMG, that was fabulous).

The icing on the cake, service-wise, was that our wake up call was an actual, live human being. What a simple but wonderful detail.

Location was great, we did lots of walking down to the Smithsonian museums, etc. It was a lovely weekend in D.C.

I would stay here again in a heart beat. Service was wonderful, warm, and gracious. Every detail was perfect. We couldn't find a single fault at all.

Can't wait to try out my next PH property!

OceanBreezes, TAHKUCT and uggboy like this.
  18. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the nice review. Looking forward to my upcoming stay.

uggboy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  19. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's like you feel you drank the Kool-Aid! My favorite property in the US. I have never stayed anywhere where even the doorman impressed me - Mustafa is not to be believed and always made us feel like he was thrilled to welcome us back. Outstanding property.

Our son lives in DC and is a professor at GW. Finished the guest room and part of me is sad since I don't have a good excuse to stay at the PH anymore!

20. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can always blame not wanting to impose ;)

I think I know which one was Mustafa, he must've been the gentleman who welcomed us when we first arrived and showed us to our room. There was one doorman in particular who was very gregarious (without being obnoxious at all) and genuine.

Genuine: that's what I kept feeling at each interaction with staff. They were truly all genuine.

Anyway, can't wait to try out another PH location.

uggboy and TAHKUCT like this.
  21. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The PH Paris is simply magnificent and a magnificent location. The PH Zurich was same level of professionalism. Going to the PH Toronto in two months. Not a loser in the bunch.

Since this is Milepoint, I should also mention the points situation. Many of us (certainly me!) get most of our points via credit card spend. To stay at a Marriott, Hilton or even Starwood, top hotels like these go for 30,000 to 50,000+ miles per night. PH so far maxxes at 22,000 - and only 33,000 if you want to guarantee a suite. To me, it's not even close!

22. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Please set your expectations a bit lower, the PH Toronto is a perfectly nice property but definitely not up to the standards of the other ones (I've not been to Zurich). Toronto, for such a major city, definitely is behind in the "great" hotels area (although there are several in development right now). The PH is one of the nicest in the city (the Four Seasons (older one - there is a new one in development) is across the street and was the PH a long time ago.

On topic for this thread, the PH Washington is now a property to not use the Diamond Suite Upgrades at, since they now book into a Park Parlor Suite (which at least historically Diamonds received complimentary upgrades into anyways and was called Park Deluxe I believe - since they have few non-suite rooms). The Executive Suite that the above member got upgraded into was the Park Suite which is what the Suite Upgrade used to confirm into.

uggboy and TAHKUCT like this.
  23. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll just assume it's like bad sex - not really that bad! But I will lower my expectation. Using one of my last Diamond Suite upgrades and have heard that Toronto is a lovely city. Sure we'll have a great time but thanks for the heads-up.

But truly, hard to expect most hotels to live up to the PH Washington DC!

uggboy, TheBeerHunter and TAHKUCT like this.
  24. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at PH Buenos Aires and was just an amazing stay. Will be at PH DC in a few months and will compare.

uggboy likes this.
  25. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say Toronto PH is nice, but my experience there was not even near perfect. Had a lot of problems at the restaurant messing up my order anywhere form 2-3 times daily. The location was great and my One Bedroom suite was nice with 2 full bathrooms, however our bedroom was very small and even had a tube TV :eek:

uggboy likes this.