Review of Molino Stucky Hilton, Venice

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Slow_Mustang, May 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Overall: Good

Location: Good, located on the residential Giudecca Island away from the Venice crowds, hotel has a scheduled boat service across the Giudecca Canal to Venice. In the evening and at break times the service is infrequent. At busy times, the boat might get filled up and you might have to wait for the next one, resulting in a long wait. The last boat coming in is around midnight.

Rooms: We were upgraded to a 2 room suit in the middle part of the hotel. The ceiling was too low, the room was not very well lit and there was no view. So, we requested and were moved to a room on the 5th floor on the front side overlooking the Giudecca Canal and Venice. Have to keep the windows closed to avoid the mosquitoes from flying in.

Lounge: It is a small area by the side of the bar. Breakfast is continental along with an under-cooked liquid paste presented as scrambled eggs. The package tour guests staying at the hotel have access to the lounge, which makes it get crowded at times. Coffee is brewed somewhere else and brought in to be poured into the steel dispensing containers. Can order a cappuccino which is prepared and brought in from the bar area. Only wine and beer along with snacks are made available for a couple of hours in the evening and they seem not to restock the beer pro-actively.

Airport transportation: There is a scheduled public boat ferry service which takes about 1 hour and 40 minutes for the ride; ticket is 16 euros. Alternately, one could take a private water taxi for about 110 euros and be there in 30 minutes. The private water taxi can be arranged from their own website directly or through the hotel front desk. The hotel does charge a 5% fee for this service; the entire water taxi cost is added on to your room bill.

Other local transportation: There is a local boat bus (ferry) station within walking distance of the hotel, from where you can take the public boat buses to the train station or to other islands. Don't forget to validate your ticket before boarding the public boats.

Miscellaneous Info: The hotel has 2-3 restaurants. But if you walk down along the canal, there are another 3-4 restaurants and a hole-in-the-wall type pizza place. You could take the hotel boat to go to the other side of the lagoon for a million other restaurants in Venice. If you look directly across from the Hilton on the Venice side of the Giudecca canal, there is a grocery store 'Bella'. You can buy local wines/liquors and other items to bring back with you at non-tourist prices. Rooftop hotel bar is one avenue for enjoying evening views if you get stuck in a room with no view; but there is only one elevator hidden in a corner that takes you up there and you will most likely need directions from the front desk to find that elevator. The general level of service needs to be brought up a notch.
    -

Last edited: May 31, 2014
    uggboy likes this.
  2. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    How was the service during your stay? My family and I stayed there April 17 - 20 and, overall, were somewhat disappointed with our experience. It was our second time at the Molino Stucky, so we found ourselves frequently comparing this stay with our first one - and it didn't come close. We reserved an Executive Suite (cash) and two additional standard rooms (points), one of which connected to the Executive Suite.

1) Pre-trip communication with the hotel was unacceptable. I was taking my parents for their 45th wedding anniversary and tried to organize something nice with the hotel, but it was an extremely painful process trying to get Gabrielle to respond to any of my emails. I finally got a response after my 3rd email, and at the point I realized it just wasn't going to happen.
    2) I was cautiously optimistic that with my Diamond Status that the hotel would give use rooms with a somewhat decent view, but we got just about the worst views the hotel had to offer.
    3) When we arrived at the hotel, it took over 30 minutes to check-in. The front desk was majorly under-staffed.
    4) It took over 2 hours for our luggage to be delivered to our rooms - and when the luggage did arrive, it wasn't ours. We started to get quite a bit nervous, but it eventually arrived.
    5) The A/C was broken the first two days, which forced us to open our windows. Never in my life have I experienced such aggressive mosquitoes. The hotel provided a little plug-in that was supposed to help repel them, but it didn't. At night, you could actually hear the mosquitoes buzzing above your head.
    6) The WiFi connection was terrible - the network constantly dropped and required us to repeatedly re-log in through the main access page.
    7) The concierge lounge is way too small given the size of the hotel and number of guests who have access to it. And there wasn't enough staff to keep it clean and re-stocked. They were constantly running out of coffee, beverages, etc. On our last day, they did give us vouchers for the buffet in the main breakfast room - which was nice.

Slow_Mustang likes this.
  3. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We stayed there from May 3 through May 7. I agree with most of your assessment. Lot of their problems are because of understaffing and the lounge area being too small. Yes, they do ration the wine/beer and snacks available in the evening, perhaps to let people have enough appetite left over for dinner.;) Chatting with some other people there, it became apparent that BA has a flight/hotel package deal which increases the traffic into the lounge as lounge access is included in their package. And there might be similar deals offered by other airlines too. Being in your parents age group, we overlooked lot of stuff and just tried to make the last four days of our 20 day long trip as pleasant as possible. Their rooftop bar had some good views in the evening. The Venice crowds were about 10 times larger than the last time we were there some 12 years ago. It was teeming with visitors from the newly created upper middle class in other parts of the world.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    ChrisUNC likes this.
  4. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was disheartening. Our first trip there a few years ago was absolutely spectacular - definitely 5 star all the way. I couldn't believe how much things have changed. It's such a fantastic property - I really hope they get their $h!t together.

5. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Because of their location, they must be generating lot of revenue to get such high category designation. With that as the backdrop, I don't know if they have any incentive to improve their service. Sad, sad, sad!