Review of Intecontinental Le Grand Paris

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by THREEA4ME, Oct 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agonized about where to stay in Paris and decided that on a long-haul flight from LAX, I wanted a great hotel to rest and recuperate. This hotel was the perfect anecdote.

First of all, arriving at CDG disoriented, I went through security in two minutes, walked 30 meters and out the doors to where the Roissy Bus sign (you actually exit the interior of the concourse, go outside, turn left, walk about 50 meters, turn left again and you are at the sign). Ten minutes later, the Roissy bus pulled up. You needed to either buy your ticket with one of the machines, but my Citibank Debit Card would not work. I had planned ahead, though, and had a ten euro note and gave it to the driver.

40 minutes later, I was dropped across the street from the Legrand, whcih is a majestic hotel.

As an ambassador, I was upgraded to a very french large room that was purchased for 40K points ($240ai), a sweet discount over the ridiculous rack rates of 750 euros if you walk up (but available for 420 euros online at check-in). Still that is more than 60-70 off. There was a welcome amenity of some chocolates and a large Evian bottle.

As an Ambassador and I got the "discount" 90 euro club access -- which is an okay deal if you can snag the 4pm check out as that means drinks in the club and appys for 24 hours, including their very good breakfast buffet. There's a fun tea service too that is included.

The room was nicely decorated if you like Louis XIV type styling. I found it heavy. The TV had lousy reception but as an ambassador, you do get one free movie rental, so I watched True Grit for the first time. (They charge a ridiculous 16 euros for the privilege otherwise).

For Paris, at 40,000 points, I'd stay at this hotel in a flash, especially to recuperate from a long flight. It's an outstanding value.

Kalboz, rwoman, hotelsallover and 5 others like this.
  2. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice report. Thanks for posting.

Those European prices are an eye opener.

3. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    The difference between $240 (purchase of 40,000 priority club points) versus their lowest rate online (420 euros -- $580!) is just mindboggling. I can't think of a better deal in Paris than $240 ai for the Intercontinental, although $150ai for Holiday Inn Paris Notre-Dame is very good too.

Kalboz and rwoman like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing indeed, excellent choice to use points at the Le Grand IC!:)

5. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's an even better value as an RA where you can consume hundreds of €'s in mini-bar charges. :) And I generally get free club access on award stays.

Andyandy, Kalboz, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds amazing!:)

7. bartla

bartla Silver Member

Status Points: