Review of Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Riverside

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by LAM, May 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a recent four night stay at the Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Riverside. I book the room at 10,000 points a night which I think was a great value as I was trying not to spend much on my lodgings for this trip. The hotel now is 20,000 points a night which may not be such a great value. The cash rate was around 90 pounds a night while I stayed in early May. The hotel is in walking distance of many shops and restaurants and some sights. It is in walking distance from the Airport Bus stop at Queen's Road Railway station and a cab is 15-20 pounds one way.

My assigned room was not immediately ready (I got "upgraded" to the biggest room on the floor with a river view because of my Platinum status). I was offered a drink from the lobby bar while I waited maybe 10 minutes.

The room was clean but not the most up to date in decor which really does not bother me. The heating/air register is on the wall and was rather loud. I just turned it off at night. The bathroom was rather small but I was traveling by myself at this point in the trip so it was not a problem. There was not a lot of counter top space in the bathroom.

The breakfast was included with every room and was ok. I would stay away from the hot food. I can make my breakfast on fruit, yogurt and croissants.

The one thing I feel was a real negative was I found out from my cab driver when I went back to the airport that if the hotel rings you a cab they get a cut from the cab company. So if I had rung the cab company myself it would have been 15 pounds not 20. It left a kind of negative opinion of the hotel at the end of my trip. I would have liked to know the hotel was getting paid to ring the cab for me.

I would stay there again at the right price. I think the IHG hotels in the theater district are slightly better located.

Kalboz, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your insights with us here on MP, glad you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Riverside, sad to hear about "the cut" the hotel receives when they order taxis for their guests, I'm happy to learn that you've been able to "pay" 10.000 points per night / instead of the 20.000 points per night.

In regards to their hot breakfast offerings, what was wrong with them?

Cheers. :)

Kalboz likes this.
  3. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I would qualify that you should stay away from the scrambled eggs. The sausage was ok and I did not try the baked beans. The eggs were extremely runny

Kalboz and uggboy like this.