Review - Intercontinental San Francisco

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by KLA, Feb 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KLA
    Original Member

KLA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at the Intercontinental San Francisco last weekend for a friend’s birthday. Using a BOGO weekend certificate wound up being cheaper than the IHG Friends & Family rate and there were no current Travel Zoo deals.

Based on my previous experiences and other reviews, I knew typically the IC upgrades Royal Ambassadors by one room class. So I was hoping by paying the extra $80 for a Junior Suite, we’d get upgraded to a full 1 BR suite. At check in, which wound up being after 1AM, I was told reservations using the BOGO certificates were not eligible for upgrades, but that it wouldn’t have mattered because they were sold out of suites.

I would be interested to know which it actually was – was the lack of upgrade because of a new policy or were they just sold out of suites and the person at check in just “made up” the no upgrade when using a BOGO certificate policy.

Was pretty happy with the room, the Junior Suites are extra large corner rooms, with wall to wall windows on two sides, including in the bathroom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (The right wall is floor to ceiling windows)

As a Royal Ambassador we had the usual fresh fruit and water amenities as well as a super nice birthday dessert plate (both nights) for my friend. They had also customized the welcome note to recognize I was a returning customer. Interestingly enough, the note outlining my RA benefits did mention a complimentary upgrade to a suite upon availability.

[​IMG]

The lounge is included with RA benefits and offers a nice spread for breakfast, cocktails, and dessert. Breakfast only offered scrambled eggs and bacon for hot options and the evening spread isn’t enough if you want a real dinner. Don’t know if this was just a weekend option, but mimosas were available most mornings. J

This is one of my favorite hotel lounges. It’s got a good view, its brightly lit and well laid out. The lounge attendant, Luis, is one of the best parts of the hotel in my opinion.

There were a few details about the hotel that weren’t perfect – our minibar was never refilled, the wireless internet connection would come and go, etc but I love the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.

When we went to check out the next day at 12:30, there was a long line of people checking in. I stopped by the concierge desk to see if there was another option and he immediately had a representative on the phone who could check us out.

If you have a car, there’s a parking garage immediately behind the hotel that offers $32 a day (or less) parking rate, which is much better than the $60 valet option. If you’re coming in after 6PM on Friday and can move your car before 7AM (or wake up to feed the meter dollar coins), there’s plenty of metered parking on Howard St. If you can get back to the hotel by 6PM on Saturday, you can park your car for free through Monday morning at any metered spot.
    If you want coffee or tea before the lounge opens at 7 on the weekends, they offer complimentary hot beverages until 6AM by the lobby elevators.

Jeanne23, uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was here this past weekend as well.

They most definitely do upgrade on BOGO rates -- I've done it myself as recently as Christmas. They possibly could have been sold out of 1 bedroom suites; there were a couple of meetings going on at the hotel over the weekend.

Minibar not getting refilled would have resulted in a call to Instant Service if it were me (which coincidentally is never "instant" at this hotel -- it always takes forever for them to answer!).

Since you had club access you could have checked out at the club.

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent review KLA.

I have stayed a few times at this IC, and like it overall- good choice if you want to stay in this area of the city.

Jeanne23, uggboy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point- the "Instant" is not regarding the responding to the telephone part!

uggboy likes this.
  5. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is a good hotel, but unfortunately I find it really inconsistent in terms of service and RA recognition, I've found. Which is really quite odd, as it has the same GM as the Mark Hopkins just a short bit away -- but their service/recognition levels are very consistent.

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In fairness to the IC, they do seem to be very busy during convention times (logical)- so service lapses are more likely than the Mark Hopkins (other IC) which is less a convention hotel. I didn't know they had the same GM however- new information!

uggboy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am a 100% leisure traveler, so I only stay when rates are low. :) Rarely is there a convention going on while I am there. And I notice the service lapses. So... ;)

8. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    PS -- I also stay at the ICSF quite a lot (as it is my "home" IC), so I feel like I have a good sample from which to judge! :D

9. KLA
    Original Member

KLA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm really glad to know that lack of upgrade was probably a space issue rather than yet another new policy that devalues elite status.

I've had the same problem with "Instant" service with them in the past. Fortunately it was so late when we got back from a full day of wine tasting that having a full minibar didn't matter since we had plenty of water. :)

And I always forget about checking out in the club, I need to remember that next time!

10. Jeanne23

Jeanne23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We also tried to enjoy the complimentary movie, but were out cold five minutes in ;)

uggboy and YULtide like this.
  11. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    i will be there for a few nights next week. will update y'all later

uggboy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  12. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hope you enjoy Luis and Gina in the club as much as I do. :) They are both such absolute customer service professionals!

uggboy likes this.
  13. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    BTW are you planning on hitting up the Mark Hopkins as well?

uggboy likes this.
  14. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just the one hotel, we only have 4 nights, short break, and then back to New Orleans..... I booked a king corner room. Lets see what they put us in. Hotel looks busy given the higher rate on the weekend

uggboy likes this.
  15. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely update; I'm looking forward to seeing what they update you to.

uggboy likes this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just an update...

I'm typing this from the IC SFO right now. Pretty nice hotel although the lobby is a bit crowded -- probably because it's a Friday and I/O just ended right next door.

I actually turned down an update because I needed the double queen beds (it's an overnight stay with our son on our way from LAS back to JFK), but they did offer it and acknowledged my status.

The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable, although that damn $60 valet is killer. Definitely go the self-parking route around the corner on Minna if you can do it, since it's pricey but saves you almost $30 for the day.

Definitely worth checking out, even if it's on the pricey side of things.

Jeanne23 and uggboy like this.