Review - Holiday Inn Express - Amsterdam Schipol Airport (AMS)

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by rwoman, Feb 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

I stayed at this property on my overnight in AMS as part of a recent MR.

Review...

Check in: Check in was painless and took a couple of minutes. The receptionist recognized my Platinum status, pointed out the bar and breakfast area, handed me my room key, and I was on my way.

Room:
    The room was a decent size, especially for Europe. It was comparable to other newer HIEx properties I've stayed at in Europe.

The bed was very comfortable and there were four pillows that were great! :)

There were many channels in a variety of languages offered on the TV system. There was also a small kettle and tea/coffee.

The bathroom was a decent size and very modern. There were plenty of towels and a hair dryer. As with most HIEx properties in Europe, there were not individual toiletries, just the combination soap/shampoo dispense on the wall.

Platinum benefits:
    I was offered voucher for a free drink at the bar.

Amenities:
    Wifi - It is free and available throughout the hotel. The speeds seemed to be be pretty good.

Complimentary Breakfast - Included pastries, cereal, yogurt, meats, cheeses, breads, and fruit/veg. Drinks included juices, milk, water, and a coffee machine.

To/from AMS:
    The hotel shuttle is free from AMS to the hotel. It picks up outside - when exiting the airport, go to the right and look for hotel bus signage (stops 9-13, I think). Many airport hotel shuttles pick up, so be aware of which one is the right one!

It costs 7.50EUR to use the shuttle back to the airport. I elected to use the train - the station is roughly a 10 minute walk from the hotel - at a cost of 2.10EUR. If you take the train, be sure you have Euro coins to purchase a ticket.

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Photos:

Room:
    [​IMG]

Coffee/Tea Service:
    [​IMG]

Bathroom:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

sendaiben, TheBeerHunter and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing with us your experiences on MP with us!:)

With the shuttle bus, this sounds interesting, it is free to go from the airport, but it has a charge from the hotel to the airport!:confused:

Kalboz likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regarding your Platinum drinks voucher, could you choose which drink you wanted? What was on offer?

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    this is the sole reason why I've never booked this hotel.

If I'm staying at AMS, I always choose the Sheraton, Hilton or Citizen M hotels which are all w/in easy walking distance of AMS. Last few times at AMS I've chose Citizen M due to the cheap rate.

uggboy likes this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I checked the Sheraton and Hilton rate...they were much higher than the HIEx, so it was an easy decision, especially since it was pretty cheap to take the train and did not really take any more time.

:)

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton was an outstanding experience IMHO, covered walkway, a fantastic room and the Executive Lounge was a real bonus here, from free breakfast, afternoon tea service, chocolates, evening service with many choices for drinks and food! Thumbs up for the Hilton, would stay again!:) We would also love to try the Sheraton in the future too! We had a look into the atrium of the Sheraton, wow, very well indeed!:)

As a side note:

We have had two nights at the Hilton AMS Schiphol and during our full day we have taken the train to Brussels, very very nice and highly recommended, came through Rotterdam, Antwerp too! After our way back to the Schiphol train station we simply walked back to the Hilton in 10 minutes and remembered a great day out in the capital of Belgium!:)

Sweet Willie, Kalboz and rwoman like this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    of course if the rate is the HIEx is that much better (the HIEx was never competitive when I've gone to AMS), did you check Citizen M?
    and this is why the world goes around, different likes. Personally although I've enjoyed my many stays at the Hilton AMS (even as a gold in 90's one would get treated fantastic), I'd far prefer to book the cheapest rate I can find for a room, then enjoy my savings in Amsterdam Central, I have no desire to spend time at an airport hotel (no matter how nice/luxurious/freebies), when a city the quality of Amsterdam is so close.

To be more clear if Hilton, Sheraton, Citizen M are all near the same price, of course I'd choose the hotel where/if I had status to enjoy the perks, but IMO Citizen M has been far cheaper (at least 50+ €, usually more) than the Hilton & Sheraton. To be fair to the HIEx and the other hotels that are not within walking distance to AMS, I'm usually catching one of the last trians from AMS Centraal to AMS, and never bothered to see if there are easy connections to the other hotels at that time of night.

I have to believe that it is easier to take the train to AMS then simply walk to the Sheraton, Hilton or Citizen M versus taking a train to AMS, then catching a shuttle late at night to the HIEx or other airport hotels. (but am all ears if someone has experience with doing so):D

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use IHG or Hilton's for the most part - the rate at the HIEx was about 30EUR cheaper and I did not plan to go into the city...just to the hotel. :) I've stayed at the AMS Hilton and really liked it...not sure the walk was much shorter than my walk to the train... lol.

:)

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.