Review - Helix Hotel (Kimpton) Washington DC

Discussion in 'Other Hotel Programs' started by sealiz, Dec 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sealiz
    Original Member

sealiz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here for one night. Tried booking online but the website wouldn't go through for payment. Called Kimpton. Explained that the price online was less expensive than what I was being quoted. Had screenshot. Agent wouldn't match price. Checked into hotel at midnight. Was told they didn't have a room with a King bed (which is what I had booked). Told I could have a room with two bunk beds and a King or one queen. I waited a few minutes and voila! A room with a King bed opened up. Went up to the room. Huge in size but weird layout. Bathroom was VERY VERY tiny. Difficult to walk between the bed and the wall. Nightstands have no room to place things. Nice TV. The hotel has a "Jetsons" feel to it; was told that it's supposed to be a production type place. Didn't get that vibe at all. Mini-bar was OK; didn't use my Raid the minibar coupon nor did I use the continental breakfast coupon. Staff was definitely not "Kimpton-like." The person I checked in with was nice once he realized I was an IC member but up until then it was difficult. A few of the other staff were rather unhelpful in many ways (checkout person had no eye contact, no manners, no "thank you for staying", nothing). I am used to staff at Kimptons really going out of their way and being amongst the nicest in the hospitality industry. Perhaps that's why this stood out - the staff just wasn't "on" at all.

The neighborhood is great though. Restaurants and shops very close by (Logan Circle). I wouldn't stay here again nor would I recommend it to others. I know that there are other Kimptons in DC that are MUCH better in so many ways.

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  2. Hi Sealiz!

On behalf of the Kimpton Home Office - bummer! We're so sorry you had a disappointing stay with us in DC and would love to talk with you further about it. Can you email me at your convenience? We do believe that this kind of critique, as painful as it is to read, helps us improve our service, and we'd like to hear more about your experience.

Thanks!
    Susan
    susan.mcdowell@kimptongroup.com