Review: Heavenly Cupcake (San Diego, CA)

Discussion in 'California' started by Kelsey, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kelsey
    Original Member

Kelsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will preface this review by acknowledging the fact that I have a cupcake obsession. However, I cannot bake and attempts at frosting are met with exploding piping bags and looks of disdain from friends and family. As a result, I have tried to make a point of visiting a cupcake eatery when I can in the cities I visit.

I have a new favorite in Heavenly Cupcake in San Diego. Located downtown in the trendy Gaslamp District, parking is the biggest concern. However, there is a 3 minute passenger loading zone in front of the restaurant which works out perfectly on a Friday night. During the day, it is fairly easy to find a meter spot and just walk around and enjoy the sights. They are very dog friendly as well! There are spokes to tie your pup to outside and water bowls for them as well. They also sell pupcakes, mini-cupcakes for your canine companion!

Now, onto the important part: the cupcakes! I first went in the middle of December 2010 during a vacation with a friend. We both had nothing but praise for our cupcakes. I had a Chocolate PB and Carrot. The Chocolate PB is a chocolate cake with peanut butter chips topped with peanut butter frosting and sprinkled with peanuts while the Carrot is a carrot ginger cake (with walnuts) with cream cheese frosting. Both were moist, fresh and delicious. No, we probably shouldn't have eaten a snack, dinner and two cupcakes within 4 hours. But we had absolutely no regrets. Cashiers and bakers were very nice and answered our many questions and were quick to offer suggestions of what to see in the area after they learned we were from out of town.

Work brought me back to San Diego this week, February 2011, and I had to see if it was a fluke. I went back, again got the Chocolate PB and decided to spice it up this time with a Pumpkin as well (pumpkin cake with ginger cream cheese frosting.) Again, delicious. The evening before leaving, I just happened to be in the area and happened to stop in front of their storefront. Complete coincidence. Of course, I had to go in and the same cashier was working as the previous day and she was again, very friendly, and wished me a safe trip home the next morning and asked how our work meeting had gone. I got a pumpkin (again, I know, it's a sick habit) and decided to get their signature Orange Chip. It's a chocolate chip cake with orange zest with a chocolate buttercream. I am very picky about my chocolate frosting, which is why I hadn't tried it before, but I'm only disappointed that I waited so long. It wasn't overly sweet, which is the downfall of most chocolate frostings.

I know this is long. But I can't praise this place enough. I don't have a single complaint and at $3 a cupcake, it is a good stop during a trip to San Diego.

Heavenly Cupcake
    518 6th Avenue
    San Diego, CA 92101
    (619) 235-9235

Mon: Closed
    Sun, Tues-Thurs: 10am-10pm
    Fri, Sat: 10am-11:30pm

2. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you get to Seattle, go to Cupcake Royale and try a Salted Caramel cupcake. It's a lifechanging event.

3. Kelsey
    Original Member

Kelsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! I am actually going to Seattle at the end of the month for the first time for vacation. This is now on my to do list.

4. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may ruin you for life ;)

http://www.cupcakeroyale.com/

5. Kelsey
    Original Member

Kelsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well...perfect fitting pants, it was good knowing you. Will have to pack only stretchy thanksgiving pants it seems! Cupcakes are so great.